Thread: 1

Default 1

Last edited by NathanLoos7; 01-12-2014 at 06:47 AM.

The mythical $5000 series rover that you always dreamed about.... is just that.

I had the same Idea myself. Find a decent driver for under 5K. Here is the reality.

1) that rover will be fun and you will want to make it last more than the initial drive home or around the block.

2) when you finally start scrutinizing, scheming and plotting what needs and your wants to do with the truck you have officially got the bug (you probably already had it since you bought one) the total cost just jumped to realistically the $12000-15000 range

3) Convincing yourself that you have the time and tools to get it done (any part of, or the entire project) unless you are retired and have limitless cash to buy everything as you work on it is a mistake. - This falls into the I need to connivence my wife now convince myself this was a good idea.

4) Swapping a frame - How easy that is said. first buy one $2500, then ship it $500. Now swap it?????? So I did this in my 3 car garage taking up all 3 bays for 2 years. Dont forget that you need to get rid of the old frame.

5) Once you start with taking it apart you then want to fix, make new or restore whats you find. as I list in my first post it gets expensive and time consuming. Hope you can weld, replacing the inevitable footwell rot with new galvanized panels is the way to go but it costs $700 not including the entire day like 18 hours drilling prying, prepping, measuring and then grinding, cutting and welding (these were complete replacement sets as well) also had it dipped to kill the rust inside the assembly.

6) Assemble the truck with all the original parts...... When you take it apart you start to think that lots of things were held together by that same rust and dirt accumulated over its long life and now you cant honestly think those springs have long to live on this earth...

7) Building it back up. After you realized for your safety and the longevity of the truck that replacements will be used, you find that all the hardware is crap. I don't think anyone really thinks about how much general nuts and bolts cost let alone the specialty one do.

8) time is slipping by, you end up storing it cause you have now moved twice and have dragged it around with you. You realize that you wish you had bought that one with all the parts and all the hard work and frustration already beat out of it. You would have had one like that done in a matter of months (for people with day jobs) with all the things you will ultimately need and want done to it anyways.

My humble opinion from the guy that went down the road of the $5K rover personally.

Last edited by NathanLoos7; 01-12-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Nathanloos7---

I enjoyed reading your summation-thank you for making those points, I feel wiser because of you!

Last edited by NathanLoos7; 01-12-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Last edited by NathanLoos7; 01-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Last edited by NathanLoos7; 01-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Wow, thats close to the 5k mark!
    GLWS
    ~Steve (bought the $5k rover -it will NEVER be done!!!)
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Last edited by NathanLoos7; 01-12-2014 at 06:50 AM.