Thread: SMITH's Heater

Question SMITH's Heater

Hey Guys!!

Here's a couple of pics of the SMITH's Heater that came in my '68 Euro L-R.

Has anyone seen one of these before??

I also have a "SMITH's" brand heater in my '60 BugEye Sprite, so I'd kinda like to give it a fresh coat of black paint and keep it.... (especially if it is rare...)

It doesn't leak (yet), but I'm guessing that getting a new heater core is gonna be difficult.... Does anyone have a good source for custom heater core fabricators? (for future reference)

Thanks!

-Bear-
    "LR Bear"
    SeriesIIa 109"LWB 2.6L-6cyl RHD

Question Smith's Heater: 2nd pic...

2nd pic attached...
    "LR Bear"
    SeriesIIa 109"LWB 2.6L-6cyl RHD

Default Re: Smiths Heater

Sure. I have one just like it in my 1970 Series IIa. Works like a champ. I don't know why they have a bad rep. 'Course mine's a truck cab so it doen't have much to heat, either

That's a Smiths? Ach and I've been cursing the thing every time it gets cold. I had no idea it was a family member... I guess I curse them too when the weather is right...

Mine works but it isn't anything to be proud of. Biggest problem I had was the fan blades hitting the bungled wiring inside. After that was fixed It's been purring along, passing lukewarm air to the windscreen ever since.

If and when it fails, I'm going to throw in either a Mt. Mansfield or rig up something out of a Chevy. Sorry, don't have a lead on re-builders but they are around.

If it craps out just get a Kodiak from someone. There are a lot of other potential heaters too.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I have this heater in my 109 RHD wagon, unless you live in the tropics you are better off with a candle..........

Default heater

This is (I believe) the heater that replaced the ole' shin burner. They are suppose to be better, they actually put out enought heat to keep one from freezing from the knee up. Of course from the knee down on the round heater you were med. rare.
    Jim Wolf
    Elvenwood Kennel

I have the same one in my '68. Works well so far - especially in August.