Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Woes?

I believe those wheels are or at least look identical to the Black Nugget made
    bu American Racing. They are sold by Gul Coast Rovers...

http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/pages/products.asp?uid=3

Quote Originally Posted by 109sixer
    I believe those wheels are or at least look identical to the Black Nugget made
    bu American Racing. They are sold by Gul Coast Rovers...

http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/pages/products.asp?uid=3
    Ouch! $66 each is too much for my squeaky cheap blood.
    Looks like I'll be painting mine.

Thanks for finding them for us though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    I'm sure that would be the cheaper/smarter way to go. Actually, I might try and have them galvanized if I do try to save them. If they are savable that is.

Tim
    FWIW I read somewhere- (Here? LRUK Boards?) that LR wheels are heat treated and will lose their strength if you Galvanize them. The fellow claimed he did his and they got all bent to hell in short order. I don't know if it is true but it might be something to think about- it was the only time I heard of the issue...
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Smith
    I'm sure that would be the cheaper/smarter way to go. Actually, I might try and have them galvanized if I do try to save them. If they are savable that is.

I was more interested in your wheels because of the offset. They seem to sit a little further out than standard wheels and I like the way that looks.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Yes, I like the offset too. They sit just about even with the body work. I've seen Forward Control wheels on a regular Series and they have a larger offset than standard also which gives the same, more stable, look.

Quote Originally Posted by yorker
    FWIW I read somewhere- (Here? LRUK Boards?) that LR wheels are heat treated and will lose their strength if you Galvanize them. The fellow claimed he did his and they got all bent to hell in short order. I don't know if it is true but it might be something to think about- it was the only time I heard of the issue...
    Thanks for the note. I'll have to do some research before doing that I guess.

Years ago I met a guy in San Diego from Toronto, Canada who was travelling all over the US in an 88 who had galvanized his wheels. I wish I could remember his name but he was glad that he did and as far as I remember had suffered no ill effects. So it is possible but you might have to be careful.

LaneRover

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    Years ago I met a guy in San Diego from Toronto, Canada who was travelling all over the US in an 88 who had galvanized his wheels. I wish I could remember his name but he was glad that he did and as far as I remember had suffered no ill effects. So it is possible but you might have to be careful.

LaneRover
    That may have been Larry Berti you met. Was it a blue SIII soft top? Larry and I both had our wheels galvanized about 7 or 8 years ago and they are working fine, and looking great. I have five more I am about to get sand blasted and dipped for my 110.

Brett

Yes that was Larry Berti and he did have a nice blue 88. I showed him around San Diego a little bit while he was here. I had seen him in his 88 and tried to chase him down but lost him as I was on foot. A day or two later he got ahold of me in a parking lot when I was driving my 65 109.

If you talk to him, tell him that I say hello!

Brent

my rover has the automatic wheel rust prevention system...leak'n hubs.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott
    my rover has the automatic wheel rust prevention system...leak'n hubs.
    Scott,

I think this came standard. Mine has this option as well. I also have the automatic undercarriage oiler package as well.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.