Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24v Winch by adding another battery?

Default 24v Winch by adding another battery?

1970 IIA 2.25 88" May have found a good deal on a Warn 24V military winch. Can I add another battery and create a 24V "leg" to run the winch? I was also thinking I could also use the 2nd battery to jump start the first one should I need it. In my Google searching somepne said "get a series parallel switch and another battery" anyone know what that means? You guys are smart, is this possible? Thanks pb

Running two 12V batteries in series creates 24V. Running them in parallel remains 12V. Using a switch to go back and forth is fine for the winch(only being used on 24V) but the truck can't handle the 24V side of it so you'd have to isolate the use of the winch from the rest of the vehicle or step the 24V down to 12V to the truck only. You can retrofit the winch with a 12V motor right from Warn (or your favorite electric motor supplier) which is easier and probably cheaper.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

ok thanks for the input. I'll research swapping out the motor for a 12V. I don't want to risk running 24v through my truck and burning everything up.
    Thanks again

That would be exciting for sure....
    Jason

Just convert the rest of the truck to 24v.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

That could be exciting also...in a constant scavenger hunt kinda way!
    Jason

You add a second battery with a jumper series cable to make the output 24V (connect the 12V battery to the negative terminal of the second battery). Run the winch from the 24V output. You run the truck from the first battery 12V. Charging, now that's a whole 'nuther issue.

That's alright, charging is over rated anyway!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    You add a second battery with a jumper series cable to make the output 24V (connect the 12V battery to the negative terminal of the second battery). Run the winch from the 24V output. You run the truck from the first battery 12V. Charging, now that's a whole 'nuther issue.
    amateur electrical tinkerer reply... that would work if you put Diodes on those cables to the 2nd battery, otherwise the whole system becomes 24v. 24v feed comes off the 2nd battery that is run in series, leaving the feed to the vehicle off only the first at 12v.... It works in my head anyway.

I recently put a 2nd battery in my boat and used http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainme...lusters-manual
    and will at some stage use the same for Andy the Landy, was ridiculously cheap less than 1/5th the cost that auto electricians were talking about, and all marine grade.

again, in my head, you should be able to get a 24v feed off the two batteries and leave the rest of the outputs at 12v, you would need diodes etc, but is doable. worst case would be inverter to get it up to AC voltage then step it back down to 24
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, While the stupid ones are full of confidence.

Like I said, cheaper, easier and more reliable to just source a 12V motor for the winch....
    Jason