Thread: Series 2A/3 bonnet bumpers?

Default Series 2A/3 bonnet bumpers?

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the series 2a or 3 had rubber bumpers to keep the bonnet from rubbing/bumping against the wings? My situation is that I have a series 2A converted to use series 3 wings (to make space for the series 3 brake booster). In addition, because the engine is a 4.3L GM V6, I believe it no longer has the original radiator (I might be wrong about this). Long story short, the bonnet with the spare tire on it is touching the radiator which has now been dented and has sprung a leak. So once I repair the radiator, I want to make sure the bonnet no longer touches the radiator. I then realized I didn't have any bumpers that many vehicles have.

If anyone knows if I am supposed to have these, and can tell me the part numbers, I would be grateful!

regards
    Eugene

The IIa did not have any rubber bumpers, and I'm almost positive the III did not either. There should be a gap between the bonnet and the wing tops with no actual interference between the two. The bonnet itself rests on the top of the radiator panel or breakfast, and there is a thin canvas strip that prevents it from rubbing.

Thank you very much. I guess my only choice will be to shim up the hood latch a bit. thanks for the information
    Eugene W2HX

Eugene,
    Which Bonnet do you have? My SIII has a thin leading edge while my II and IIA both have a rounded noses. You might get a little more clearance on the rounded nose version. No factory rubber buffers on either as Stomper noted-just the canvas. I had some metal on metal rubbing on the sides of my SIII bonnet where they meet wings. Picked up some simple rubber edge trim from a local marine store reduces chafing now. 73 Ray
    Ray
    73 SIII 88 Daily Driver-patiently waiting for a good shop day
    69 SIIA 109 NADA ~Someday...
    61 SII 88 ~Shielding the earth from rain

Thanks, I am not 100% sure which I have. But here is a picture...
    http://automotion.smugmug.com/Other/...100_7985-M.jpg

I think what I will do is shim up the hood latch mechanism to give more clearance. thanks to everyone for the info

If you have a table saw, I would take a piece of oak wood, cut it into 1/4 in h strips, and then bend one to fit the upper contour of the breakfast panel. Add a second, and glue it to the first. You will be able to add as many as needed, and it will be easy to sand and mould perfectly. You can then attach it through the holes the canvas strip attaches to.