Thread: Wanted: 88 safari top for my Series one

Default Wanted: 88 safari top for my Series one

1958 series one undergoing reno - have plain hard top want vented tropical/safari!
    1958 Series I

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

No such creature. There was only one style hard top for 88 SI, if you have it, then you have it. But that is not to say you couldn't cobble together a trop-top from a II or IIA,
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Ours came with a hardtop that was modified to a tropical top. It's in storage, we never use it, but I could take it out and take some pics for you to get some ideas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patina-hard-top.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	9528

Name:  pixel.gif
Views: 493
Size:  43 Bytes
    No such creature. There was only one style hard top for 88 SI, if you have it, then you have it. But that is not to say you couldn't cobble together a trop-top from a II or IIA - See more at: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth....5RuRFHOf.dpuf
    There is a tropical roof for the 88 inch series one. It was used on the series one 88 SW. Its the same as the 86 inch tropical roof with the long alpine windows. The SII-SIIA roofs will not fit as they are narrower than the SI. The sunsheet on a SI is therefore wider and has the curves in the wrong places.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7882417258_cb5e7f6a8a_z.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	9558 hard to find, but yes they do exist

Saw this the other day and it made me think of this thread.

Here is a 57' S1 107 with a tropical top.

Crappy picture of a picture, but you get the idea.

1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

I searched for quite a while for one for my '58 88, and never found any. Just rumors. I did find a couple cobbled together from SII trop-tops and homemade, but never a real OEM one for the SI 88. So, I gave up looking and put it in the same catagory as 'Nessy'

And, yes, I have seen real and photos for 107.
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

[QUOTE=REDrum;99218]I searched for quite a while for one for my '58 88, and never found any. Just rumors. I did find a couple cobbled together from SII trop-tops and homemade, but never a real OEM one for the SI 88. So, I gave up looking and put it in the same catagory as 'Nessy'

They arent common but arent too rare either. There are a number of them here in the northwest/canada/california. Love those long alpine windows!