Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How slow is too slow?

69 109 p-up with an overdrive, military re-built 2.25 16" rims and a rochester and I easily cruise at 65 on the highway and 70 wasn't unheard of.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Hills are another thing though....

Rob
    Bugeye88

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye88 View Post
    Hills are another thing though....

Rob
    Bugeye88
    Yes . . . yes they are . . . depends on the hill of course.
    Florida hills? Not much problem!
    Colorado 'hills' I got down to about 30mph
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Yep. I live at 7200 ft. and occasionally travel to Salt Lake which is 4200 ft. Going down is harrowing but I keep it down to 60-65. Going up I can go 40-45... 50 with a tail wind, with the Bugeye in 3rd overdrive. Not too bad. The engine is a 2.5 with 8:1 head, 34 ICT Weber, K+N and good tune. On the Flats.... mind numbing acceleration......

Rob
    68 Bug Eye 88 Nellie Belle
    Last edited by bugeye88; 03-26-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post
    Ok, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I know I signed up for slow and noisy. Just wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth.
    The best way to check to see if you are getting your money's worth is to have someone press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there (engine off) while you check to see if the linkage has opened the throttle all the way. Also if your timing is not advanced enough you will not be getting all the power you paid for. Either way a caution, slow moving vehicle sign is not out of order.

I had your power problem for the first 21 years I drove my truck. I solved it with a Ford 5.0. I now have more power at idle that the 2.25 had at peak and with some higher gearing have no problem keeping up with traffic in a 75 MPH zone. Oh, and I ended up with better fuel mileage

So Teriann - would you rebuild mine for me then??? A 72 with a 2.25 engine! And yes, I made a sticker for the back that says "I'm going as fast as I can!"

Name:  DSC00263.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  108.2 KB

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

Hey there! Nice to see another NM Series running around. Shoot a PM if you are ever in the Alb area. Apologies for the hijack...

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by sleam View Post
    So Teriann - would you rebuild mine for me then??? A 72 with a 2.25 engine! And yes, I made a sticker for the back that says "I'm going as fast as I can!"
    I'm willing to teach you how to do it and help with any heavy lifting. People usually retain more by doing. Your tools this time. My parts washer is broken.

Almost in keeping with the thread.
    I'm thinking of driving the Blue Ridge Parkway northbound in the next few weeks.
    I know the grades are crazy but I'm wondering more about the tolerance level of other drivers.
    Have any of you been through in a Series? Are there lots of passing lanes?
    I have more power than stock but I'm also towing.

Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    I know the grades are crazy but I'm wondering more about the tolerance level of other drivers.
    Have any of you been through in a Series? Are there lots of passing lanes?

Cheers
    Peter
    First of all... it's a beautiful drive and wonderful scenery - you'll really enjoy it!

The max speed on the parkway is 45, and it drops to 25 in some areas. It's also well patrolled to discourage speeders. Whenever I've been on the parkway, I've found most drivers respectful; but there will always be jerks out there. Fortunately, however, the BRP's status as a "National Parkway" means it is a route better suited for sightseers rather than thrill seekers. Besides, well known speed-routes are close by (like "The Devil's Tail").

That said... the steep grades and hairpin turns will make for a challenging drive in a series. There are no gas stations on the parkway... so plan accordingly. There are plenty of "Scenic Overlook" pull offs to give you and your series a break. On the longer, straighter, steeper grades you'll have passing lanes. If you haven't already done so, check out the BRP website:

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

They have plenty of resources/maps to help you plan a trip.

Enjoy!

Chuck