Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How slow is too slow?

Thanks Chuck,
    That's encouraging, I've been on the site as well as a few cycling sites to research the grades. But until I actually hit the hills I don't really know what speeds I can maintain.
    I'll report back

Cheers
    Peter

I did the BRP from Shenandoah (north) until we got to NC and had to turn around. Lots of hills and grades, yep. And I think the southern part was supposed to be even more so?

Mine's a 7:1 2.25, all stock except an OD. We had no trouble with speed, most of the time we were zipping right along and all the pull offs helped relieve pressure from others behind a few times. As mentioned above it is a senic route so most people are on there looking at the views (just like we were). I don't remember any time feeling rushed.

Most of the serious grades we encountered off the parkway were two lane so we would just park it in the right lane and let others floor it right past us..

Look out for the FOG!! The OD is a godsend not only on upgrades, but keeping the engine braking in the right range.

~Steve
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010990.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	9563 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020504.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	9564
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

As a series owner who drives mine almost daily, I feel making these relics go faster is wrong on several levels. I also have the insight that being in a bad wreck, in a modern vehicle, can give one. Two words: Air Bags, I wouldn't be writing this without them. My advice is to drive your series when not in a hurry. If you're always running late, you'll start to hate your truck. Drive it how it was meant, enjoy it for what it is. Of course, this is America and you have the privledge to take whatever risks you can want....