Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Drawer System

Default Rear Drawer System

Does anyone have a drawer in the back of their series? Home made or purchased? I've seen them offered by ARB and a few other companies in AU and the UK for jeeps, discos, and land cruisers.

i think it would be handy storage, and a lockable option for keeping stuff from walking from our trucks.

Here is one in the back of a defender in the UK.
    http://www.mudsport.co.uk/media/cata.../m/img0276.jpg

Tuffy makes one too.

Quote Originally Posted by toga Rover View Post
    Here is one in the back of a defender in the UK.
    Yikes! Not the most elegant-looking one I've seen.

I've designed one for my wife's FJ Cruiser and have the ability to adapt the design to fit the tub of my 109, should I ever go that route. I'm in the process of building the CNC machine to make it. It'll be little (OK, a LOT) easier on the eye than the one in the link (and will be more functional too):

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

So is the plan to get your wife into the expedition lifestyle working Mark? It's either that, or you are prepping her FJ to your own specifications so it's ready for when you take it over!
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    So is the plan to get your wife into the expedition lifestyle working Mark?
    Ha! That FJ will never see anything under it's wheels but the mall parking lot.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shelving.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	9547

1/2" plywood, glued and nailed together + bins from Walmart, fitting perfectly. A long bin like this and a half length bin fit per side. I have one side with a long bin holding rope, tools, tarp, misc and the short bin holds my camp kitchen stuff. The other side gets no bins, but gets shovel, folding saw, hatchet, axles and folding chairs..

simple cheap. bolt it down though so its solid in case of an emergency. (Gotta say it for safety, right)

mine is painted the same color as the bodywork back there, and when half covered with typical rover junk, you cant even tell that there is a shelf in there.

Then only thing I notice, is that the contents of the bin get HOT and subsequently damp from condensation. not sure if this is a my rover thing or an all rovers thing, but just wanted to mention it. Exhaust pipes underneath I guess?

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Just switch sides with the bins and the shovel, axles etc. Steve. That should solve it!
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Ha!! great solution James.. DUH!

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

That's how I did mine too, a plywood top and sides and containers underneath. I built it to be the same height as the side bench seats and threw a dog bed on top. Perfect for critters and camping gear! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-29 23.55.10.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	9548

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shelving.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	9547

1/2" plywood, glued and nailed together + bins from Walmart, fitting perfectly. A long bin like this and a half length bin fit per side. I have one side with a long bin holding rope, tools, tarp, misc and the short bin holds my camp kitchen stuff. The other side gets no bins, but gets shovel, folding saw, hatchet, axles and folding chairs..

simple cheap. bolt it down though so its solid in case of an emergency. (Gotta say it for safety, right)

mine is painted the same color as the bodywork back there, and when half covered with typical rover junk, you cant even tell that there is a shelf in there.

Then only thing I notice, is that the contents of the bin get HOT and subsequently damp from condensation. not sure if this is a my rover thing or an all rovers thing, but just wanted to mention it. Exhaust pipes underneath I guess?

~Steve

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

Default bolt things down

Quote Originally Posted by sleam View Post
    That's how I did mine too, a plywood top and sides and containers underneath. I built it to be the same height as the side bench seats and threw a dog bed on top. Perfect for critters and camping gear! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-29 23.55.10.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	9548
    Just make sure it is all bolted down. All that stuff becomes projectiles if you have the misfortune to roll the truck. Personal experience here.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR