Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 109 Frame Off Resto - Work Space Requirements & Hints For Success

Quote Originally Posted by Escargo View Post
    If you haven't already, check out the series 2 forum. Several guys across the pond show in detail how they clean and refurbish the original parts, i.e.. carb, fuel pump, etc. Really interesting stuff.
    Definitely, check out the restoration by a user named Worf, he did an amazing restoration, and a very detailed thread on it. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    Yes!... ^^^...

You may also want to check out a friend's blog... mud4fun
    I have found it very useful and inspirational.

Mechanically, I tend to agree (though I still did it)... Electrically, however, I found photos crucial. It was much easier for me to snap a few photos of switch/gauge/lamp wiring as opposed to spending many frustrating hours scratching my head staring at a wiring digram. (the back of that dang ignition switch still seems like a puzzle to me).
    I also agree on Mud's blog spot, he's got some great information on there, and very good descriptions. While you're at it, give Terri Ann's site a read, you'll find much of the information and upgrades to be very useful while the truck is apart: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

One thing I will add. The process of restoration as I'm sure you are aware, is filled with hours of great tinkering fun. It can also very easily slip into the realm of "chore to be endured". The end seems very far away. Money is going out the door without any visible results, and an endless upply of roadblocks are popping up. Not to mention that you still have your regular life to live. It is at the low points in the build that you will find yourself wondering why you thought that this would be a good idea. I guess my point is that the greatest challenge is not the truck, but the blob of protein between your ears. Good luck with that, we're here for you.

One more thing...Bill can attest to this...TIME

If you plan on moving at all in the next 3 years forget it! Wait. If you plan on doing a full rest like you allude to then you will want at least 3 years in situ
    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
    1995 RRC - LWB
    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)

Quote Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post

If you plan on moving at all in the next 3 years forget it! Wait. If you plan on doing a full rest like you allude to then you will want at least 3 years in situ
    Money

Quote Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
    Oh... com'on... don't scare the guy!
    Here some chaps that did "the swap" in 16 hours!

Thanks all - again for the helpful experienced based insight & suggestions.... been adding to my notes.

I see in my future a TIG welding class at my local community college... been wanting to do that anyway... just more impetus to do so now.

For sure - for me - this will be as much about the journey as the destination - so accordingly there is no intent on my part to put together a 109 version of the 16 hour SWB Series chassis swap shown in the you tube clip shared.

Looking forward to perusing the recommended blogs & will wade into the Series 2 forum as well.

I now have a bit more time on my hands, so can devote to assembling the first list of stuff to buy while efforts continue to locate a suitable local work space to rent - for at least the first chunk of this project. So until I have that arranged, no point in having heavy - freight shipped stuff delivered to my home address only to have to figure out where to store it & move it later.

Can't say thanks enough for all the replies.

Oh... and I have added wiring harness to the "gotta get it new" list of stuff. I totally learned my lesson on my British motorcycles. Anything with Mr. Lucas' name on it requires elimination of any and ALL old and potentially cantankerous electrical elements.

Cheers all...

Jim
    '66 88 Series II a - petrol
    A smattering of old British motorcycles - mostly running

If your up for it, I would love to "watch" you do your tear down and build up. I know a lot of time I consider doing a write up after a repair but without a second set of hands, the whole photo journaling thing becomes less important than getting my rover back on the road.

Jim,
    How's the rebuild going? I was reading your post with interest. I have a similar story except I have a two car garage. I bought a '69 IIA back in 86. Being in the military it quickly went into the garage for the next 25 years as my retirement rebuild project. I should be starting my frame up rebuild next spring. So I'm in the process of pulling together ideas, contacts, & lessons learned.
    Charles
    Charles
    '69 Series IIA

Hi all... been a while since I started down this path... albeit in fits & starts.

Charles... thanks for your inquiry & interest. Regarding lessons learned and best practices, I would say please see the advice given to me in this thread. Folks here have been great with URL, and input re: best practices.

Regarding my project, things took a few detours since I began this post in March. Before digging into the disassemble I sought some local advice to ID salvage-ability of parts where their condition was to me not too clear. This double check cost me a couple hundred dollars and confirmed what I feared about the amount of work required. The good thing that came from this effort, is that as a result of this contact, I was turned on to another parted out 109 up for sale practically in my neighborhood....so with the initial intent of making one good 109 out of two, I raided my project budget and bought what is essentially an 95% intact 109, but with all good parts that my first 109 was lacking for just about what it would have cost me for just a replacement chassis... so I now essentially have 2 109's to deal with. One that is no further along than it was 8 months ago, and one that is in boxes, tubs, on pallets etc...

My new plan is to focus on rebuilding the one I just bought... to learn from the assembly process of the new 109, and to then tackle my first intended project once I have rebuilt this disassembled one. I can't bring my self to cannibalize one of there two...I feel a strong obligation to put both right now.

So where I stand at this point is I have my original 109 parked in a 1,000 square foot warehouse bay that I am renting. I'll use it for reference during reassembly of the parted out 109.

Also in this space are ALL the new 109 parts - the last loads I just hauled in over New Years. It is amazing how easy it was to fill that once cavernous space. I should mention that the new 109 haul also included several miscellaneous non-109 LR parts that came with the deal, that will soon go for sale to make room and help fund things. Clearing those out should make some room.

Currently I am in the process of turning this once empty space into a workshop, have built some shelves, a couple work benches and am working on lighting & electric for the space. The warehouse is about 1.5 miles from my house, so is convenient and at $200 a month, not too bad an expense. And the big plus about this space is that it is directly next to a machine & welding shop, so two skills/tools I lack can be supported by my neighbors.

My plan... focus this winter on building a rolling chassis.

1. Assemble a pile of parts to be stripped & galvanized, to include:
    Chassis
    Door HW
    Bonnet HW
    Seat HW
    Bulkhead
    Misc. Trim bits
    2. Service axles & suspension while step 1 is being stripped & dipped.
    Clean
    Paint
    Reassemble
    3. Once parts are back from the galvanizer, mount axles to chassis

Next steps...have to refer to the video links & URL's provided here, and of course raise some questions with the experts here & on the Guns & Rover forum.

Regarding resto plans... I'm not planning to build a mint LR...just clean it up, put it right, do the work right so it will last, and make it look nice.

I'll post up some pics of things as they are, and as things progress, but for now wanted to post up something so folks would know things are still a go, just on a different path now.

Cheers all...

Jim

'64 109 Series II a - petrol - parked & not running
    '66 109 Series II a - petrol - in pieces but mostly there
    A smattering of old British motorcycles - mostly running

My two cents,
    My ex-mod short wheel base took years for me to complete, New frame, engine, drivetrain all rebuilt, new plumbing and wiring harness, paint, interior the whole 9 yards. I guess my best advice it take your time, read, ask questions, look at diagrams before you bust into the transmission, or drive train. I did everything myself, and ended up purchasing tools to do things like a welder to make a bulkhead, pipe flaring tools to make plumbing for clutch and brakes. If you take your time, part out the work you are not familiar with, and assemble properly, you will be happy at the end, and most importantly your truck will start, drive, brake, and server you for many years. cheers,