Thread: Won't start...just a *click*

Unhappy Won't start...just a *click*

Just drove all the way from boston to Cape Cod....shut it off and can't start it now.

Starts with help from jumper cables, otherwise it's just a *click* when I turn the key. The battery is less than a year old, all the connections are shiny clean. Could something be draining the battery?

Any ideas??
    '70 IIA

If it's starting when you clamp jumpers to the outside of the cable connections, it's a good indication the starter, and the connections at it, are good. It would tell me that 1) the connection between the cables and the battery posts need tightening or cleaning, or 2) the battery has gone south.

Take a volt meter and check the condition of the battery. Anything less than 11 volts and the starter will not come out to play.

If you drove that distance and your charging system is in good order then the battery should be fully charged (12.5V). If the battery is showing low voltage then charge it overnight and then recheck it in the morning. This will tell you if the battery is OK.

Were you running with lots of electrical drains like lights and radios etc? If you are running an original alternator it may just not be able to keep up with the electrical load.

Next check your ground strap. Adding a second ground strap is a good idea.

Check the tension of the fan belt, make sure the alternator is securely mounted and then check the connections.

With the engine running at a couple of thousand rpm check the voltage across the battery terminals again. It should be around 14V. Less than this indicates poor charge system performance.

Finally take a jump lead and carefully use it to connect the starter input directly to a charged battery. This bypasses the solenoid and cables so will tell you if the starter is working.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Gregor

Finally take a jump lead and carefully use it to connect the starter input directly to a charged battery. This bypasses the solenoid and cables so will tell you if the starter is working.

Yes, but please do so OUT of gear, in NEUTRAL with the parking brake on...

I've done that drive in my '67. A little scary on the main roads. Where on the cape are you?

Good luck getting her started...

Live/garage truck in boston but keep it in sandwich for the summer. I drive it all over the cape in the summer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Live/garage truck in boston but keep it in sandwich for the summer. I drive it all over the cape in the summer though.
    we've had this convo already, right? I'm in downtown Boston as well - take mine out to Truro once a year for a week and play on the beach w/ it...

So, Have you gotten the starter sorted out yet?

I charged the battery for almost a full day with a battery charger and cleaned the posts. Everything seems to be running smooth now with no problems on start-up. Battery seems to be holding a charge now.