Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a 101

Well I found this, fairly reasonable I think
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...=&pgGrp=search

Also, I think I might have someone who has some lightly used xl's which would be ideal I think. Anyone try putting 11.00 r16 on their 101 rims? Do they fit? I think it'd be a bit better to have the bigger tire. I believe there like a 38' comparable. Otherwise, I was even considering some tsl tires, but I like the tall skinny "pizza cutter" look
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    Resident Stuped Hillbilly
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

11.00R16 works. I have not experienced them but you may find the gearing with the larger dia tyres and your overdrive to be a bit too much for the engine but that is largely down to how strong the engine feels. 101s are notorious for eating the Fairey which won't be in its first youth so I'd be a wee bit ginger with it while you experiment.

Oh yeah. I remembered something that I should have mentioned in my first post. Check the oil lines from the oil pump to the oil cooler. They will be old and have a habit of failing. They also have a fairly funnky fitting so replacement with anything other than OEM tends to be a pain to chase down. You can pick up replacemnts on ebay in the UK.

Thanks I'll have to check the oil lines.

So these past few weekends I've tried chasing wires and digging through forums to try and find out why it's not getting spark. I don't know why the British liked to wire things strangely, even on a military vehicle. So after plenty of headaches, 4 different spare coils I had and finding the much questionable "lumination" ignition system, I decided to scrap the whole idea of messing with wire nests and my new HEI distributor is in the mail. I figure for $130, it's worth it to never have to go through the nest of wires again. Also for those of you who may also have this idea, the distributors for the "Buick 215 small block" I believe are the same for the 3.5, and cost about $500 less for the same one wire system.

I'll see where that can get me this weekend, hoping I can get the thing running

Also, I'm interested in finding the canvas hoops for this truck.
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

I have an HEI from a Buick 350 IIRC mounted. If it is a coil in cap large diameter jobbie you'll need to shave the corner of the head and install a low profile head bolt.

After a rather catastrophic short circuit I removed the entire system and replaced it with an entirely new system with 12 fuses mounted up in the battery box. In my case it was the little wire to the rear plate light that shorted and melted all the way back through the harness to the dash.

I've had two different Buick HEI's, one was the short one and was a pain to fool with, the other has a longer shaft and dropped right in with no mods. On the short shaft one I had to replace the intake bolt with a flat head bolt, and do some clearance grinding to the very top of the water pump. However, Pertronix has a Rover dizzy all set up for these. All my Rovers have been V-8's so I've been playing with the different Buick Mods for a while .

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Haven't gotten my HEI in the mail yet. But as I still need some other parts, I'm still doing some shopping. I found some of those steel aftermarket brake and clutch reservoirs to replace my crusty rotted old ones.

I just have a question... The seller seems to have 2 different ones, one more expensive than the other. Is there any difference or can I get away with just getting 2 cheap ones?

Here's the 2

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251445935248?nav=SEARCH

And

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251445958949?nav=SEARCH
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

They seem to be the same Spec, so go for the cheaper of the two and you'll be OK. Check some of the on-line Brit stores you may find an even better price.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

The two reservoirs are different to each other. One only supplies one of the brake circuits. The other supplies both a brake circuit and the clutch. It has extra fittings (one on the side and one in the base) and a baffle inside.

You need one of these
    http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/oursho...-FC-Metal.html

and one of these
    http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/oursho...rol-Metal.html

It is also a good idea to replace the short length of hose that goes from he hose barb to the brake pipe. As you will have inevitable spills working inside the cab DOT5 fluid is a good choice as it saves the paint from being stripped.

Here's a picture of the prototypes installed in my 101.

Are we going to see this at Metal Dash this year? We had one there last year.

Lol, I don't think I've even heard of it. If I can get it on the road in time perhaps!

And update, motors good. Started right up on ether with new distributor. I did have to do some grinding to the bolt on the intake manifold though... But it's in and it turned right over.
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com