Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a 101

Default Going to look at a 101

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
    Chunky.

They look good. I'm interested to hear a report on how they drive.
    I've talked to a few people who run these tires and they say that they're not too terrible. We did have 13.5" tires on the Volvo though, which was manual steering and it really wasn't all that bad
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    Resident Stuped Hillbilly
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

Are the tires 11r16? Michelins? Used, I'm assuming. Where did you find them?
    '65 Series IIA, 88'
    '00 Discovery II
    '08 Jaguar xj8
    '95 RRC LWB, deceased.....
    '75 Forward Control GS, 72 FL 64, gone to CA!

They are a metric equivalent, michelin Xml, 325/85 r16. Just over 38" tall and 13.5" wide!

Look on eBay, you can get them. Also on line there's a guy that usually has brand new ones for like $200-400 a piece depending on condition. Try "csm army tires" or "Bigfoot military tires"

Last I checked, Bigfoot also had the 11.00 r16 xl and Xzl
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

Resto has been going slow ish... The winter hasn't been cooperating much. Good news is I have most of the hardware I need to really start putting it back together.

Here's a couple pics to hold you guys over 😁
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421990910.609872.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	10538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421990941.644746.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	10539
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

Mike,
    A bit off topic but how do you find your Volvo as a vehicle to look after? I have a brother who is interested in a TGB 1314 for a camper build. I understand a 6x6vis more complex than the C303 but being in the same series they should have the same strengths and weaknesses. The things are rare as hens teeth in the UK so I am a bit concerned that he will invest in a rather cool hanger queen.

Oh, and the inevitable question. How do you feel it compares with the 101.

Sorry for the late reply man, the Volvo was a fun truck. Off road, the 101 won't touch the volvo. It has locking portals, in this case 3 of them. The b30 volvo motor is fairly common straight forward and easy to find parts for, while you hit the same snags as the 101 in finding driveline components. Things have changed now since we've owned it, forums are more popular and such.

It's a relatively bulletproof truck, top speed of about 50mph in military dressings, but probably around 70 for the "civilian" trucks. But you have the option to re gear it should you desire. The clearance to the axle is somewhere around 16" stock, and I think we've only had the thing properly stuck once, and mind you we wheel pretty heavy. I would classify it as more capable that a pinz, but lighter duty than a mog. It has around the same approach departure and tip angles as the 101, and like the 101 the panels and doors all come off depending on the model. They're also a little easier getting in and out of but not by much. Being a straight axle in the 101, it has a bit more load capacity I think. The 6x6 may have more parts, but off road the extra traction makes them even more unstoppable. They made a prototype 8x8 version, but I think they dismantled it for extra parts lol. They were designed for trudging around in the deep snow and mud of Northern Europe and did a great job of it!

If your friend has the choice, 12 volt is much easier to find compatible components for than the 24 volt models.

Shifting from low to high is interesting because everything is vacuum. It even has a feature where if you hit the breaks hard the vacuum assisted breaks activate the 4 wheel drive, or 6 in this case for better breaking and traction.

I have no complaints about the truck, and if he has the chance I'd say go for it :P

Here's some pics of our old one in action!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425432525.002414.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	10639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425432571.871485.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	10640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425433093.312305.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	10641
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

I also think it may be worth mentioning, the c303 has a Dakar title under its belt as well
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

Mike,
    Thanks for the info and opinions. It makes for a good comparison. I suspect the hardest part will actually be finding one in the UK. I'm not entirely sure how you would deal with insurance etc. driving one back across Europe from Sweden without a UK registration but it would be a fun trip.

Regarding the portal axles how do they fair with long distance, high speed runs? Almost every older vehicle I have encountered with them from Mog 404s to Humvees seem to eventually run into issues with the portal boxes and speed. My brother lives in the Midlands of the UK so he'll be spending a lot of his time hauling down motorways just to get anywhere interesting to camp.

For a bit of a bit of 101 pedigree in the sand look up The World's Widest Beach film on youtube. They were not fast but they did it unsupported and for a little interest you get to see the Rubery Owen powered trailers in action which is the nearest thing they got to 6x6.

I briefly saw something like that, I remember they had little sun reflectors on the sand so to stave off myopia

The axles are pretty solid but there's a 6:1 reduction with the portal gears. The 6x6 I think was a little more at 7.14:1. Speed wasn't the name of the game with their production. It won't go very fast, but it'll go anywhere. I believe the "civilian gearing" only came in the 4x4 models but I'm not sure.

With a top speed of about 50mph, I wouldn't worry about the axles, even on long hauls. In the uk they may be a bit rare, but they are relatively easy to come by in the finger countries.
    Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com

Updade!!!

FINALLY getting it registered... Had to do a bit of finicky paperwork and pull some favors, but it's happening. Just waiting on some parts from the 101 FCCR in the UK to finish her up and be road worthy. Hopefully will be on the road before the snow hits!

Mike S
    1975 Land Rover FC101
    www.stupedhillbilly.com