Thread: How identify my LR Series transmission or gearbox

Default How identify my LR Series transmission or gearbox

Hola everyone!!
    I need a little help identifying the gearbox that have my old LR Series III 88"(1972) 2.25 petrol. It is because I think the first owner change it. I need clues on how to identify its or difference from the ones of the LRS II, like serial numbers plate or where it is, how look in the exterior the ones from II or are alike looking, are the same exterior body? or if can publish photo that I can use like a guide when look mine. I know about the change in mechanic and synchro in the shift. If anyone can give me a clue, I will really aprecciate a lot and Gracias!!
    Ed Cintron
    Facebook/Land Rover Series Puerto Rico

Ed, I think if you took a few good pictures, there would be someone who could ID the transmission for you. The best way would be to find the stamped (not cast) serial# and post that. Im not sure what external changes were made.. They would probably be minor at best..

a few good links regarding serial #'s

http://www.seriesdiesellandrover.com...20Gearbox.html

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-lan...earbox-id.html

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

The clutch slave set-up is different from the IIa to the III transmissions. see if you can get a picture of that.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

And if you can't get an answer here, try the Series 2 Club forum in the UK, there are many there that can narrow down the year of manufacture based on your numbers, give them your chassis number and the number of your tramsmission, and they can tell you the likelihood of it being the one it came from the factory with.

If it is a series III, the serial and suffix are on the top of the transfer case housing where the casing connects to the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    Ed, I think if you took a few good pictures, there would be someone who could ID the transmission for you. The best way would be to find the stamped (not cast) serial# and post that. Im not sure what external changes were made.. They would probably be minor at best..

a few good links regarding serial #'s

http://www.seriesdiesellandrover.com...20Gearbox.html

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-lan...earbox-id.html

~Steve
    Thanks Everyone!!, during the week-end I will take some photos and publish its. I know for sure that the clutch slave is in the driver side(LHD) and when I shift first to second, i have to decrease speed or double clutch. And when i low from 3rd to 2nd it sound a little and have to decelerate.

Ed

I series IIa clutch slave should be on the passenger side, and is mounted vertically. I believe the series III setup is on the drivers side and is mounted horizontally. Someone with a series III might chime in. I don't think you can use a series III clutch mechanism with a series IIa transmission, but someone should verify this for me.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    I series IIa clutch slave should be on the passenger side, and is mounted vertically. I believe the series III setup is on the drivers side and is mounted horizontally. Someone with a series III might chime in. I don't think you can use a series III clutch mechanism with a series IIa transmission, but someone should verify this for me.
    Thanks !!, I will take photos during the week end and publish its.

Ed
    Facebook/Land Rover Series Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    Yes regarding SIII clutch horizontal on LH Side