Thread: P38 woes

Default P38 woes

So my wife's P38 has suddenly developed a rough idle and is running poorly. I plugged my OBDII scanner (Innova 3100a) in a pulled the following info:

P0300 - random misfire detected

P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire detected

P0307 - cylinder 7 misfire detected

P1300 - catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders. Drive cycle C: Signal out of range - above maximum

P0442 - Evaporative Emission System leak detected (small leak)

Like I mentioned above, these problems manifested themselves overnight, there were no indications that there was trouble brewing.

So...million dollar question, "what's wrong?"

If I'm lucky, this is a "common" problem...chuckle...yeah right...so any ideas where to begin?

thanks in advance!
    Brian

my experience is multiple random misfires usually is the coil paks need replacing sorry they are expensive, and i would check the gas cap for the evap problem

is there a way to test the coil pack or at least verify it's the culprit?

thanks!

unfortunately most of the test equiptment available does not cover land rover so you have to rely on your obd-2 and knoledge of the codes and prior experience, or you are at the mercy of your land rover dealer, you can check rovers north?

Okay, I am looking over the service manual and wanted to get some level of confidence that the coil is the problem before i start pulling things apart. It's not rocket science, but I do have to remove the intake manifold to get to the coil pack which is convieniently tucked in the back of the engine.

Anyway, the fault code indicates that cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring. Looking at the diagram, the leads for 4 and 7 coicidentally are right next to each other. Is this a good enough indication that the coil is bad?

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by NAS110
    Okay, I am looking over the service manual and wanted to get some level of confidence that the coil is the problem before i start pulling things apart. It's not rocket science, but I do have to remove the intake manifold to get to the coil pack which is convieniently tucked in the back of the engine.

Anyway, the fault code indicates that cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring. Looking at the diagram, the leads for 4 and 7 coicidentally are right next to each other. Is this a good enough indication that the coil is bad?

thanks again!
    you usually can weasel the whole pack out with just unplugging a few things and unbolting the unit and last i knew the coil paks were only available as a whole unit, but seriously talk to rovers no. its a toll free call and there always very helpful (800-403-7591).....

try replacing the plug wires, they may be arching

Default Misfire-Spark Plugs need to be changed more than likely

Last week I had a misfire on # 3,4,7,8 and find out the spsark plugs needed to be changed and then found out the #7 plug wire need to be changed. That's all I can tell you about your post.
    Bpack