Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Stability...

Default Body Stability...

Any ideas on how to decrease the amount of side to side body movement without compromising articullation in a SIII?

I would like to have less body roll on the road. Havent done parabolics (and wasnt planning too) Just want a better ride.

Upgrade shocks??? Springs??? add front/rear swaybars???
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

To decrease body roll, you are usually going to give up articulation. Stiffer springs will decrease body roll, but articulation and ride quality will suffer. Lowering the center of gravity will help, but who wants a 'slammed' Land Rover.
    IMO, the best solution would be sway bars with quick disconnects. The sway bars will help greatly reduce body roll on the road while still maintaining ride quality. Sway bars will try to fight articulation, but quick disconnects would allow them to be disconnected for off-road adventures. I'm not sure if any sway bar sets are available for the SIII - maybe someone else will chime in who knows for sure.

Seems to be lots of them for J**P but, not for SIII. I am tempted to order a set and see if I can modify to make it work.

I have 2 sets of very handy hands when it comes to SIII and I need to take full advantage of them while they are here. Lots of Guinness if anyone is interested.
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

Default ambulance sway bars

check with Rover's North....I bet they might have a set or two from the ambulances they import .

Go slower around turns

I understand... Seems turning is something I might need to do less of in the future...
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT
    check with Rover's North....I bet they might have a set or two from the ambulances they import .
    Will they fit on an 88"?

Quote Originally Posted by spechols
    Will they fit on an 88"?
    From what I've seen on the ambulances, they should fit. They actually mount above the frame, in front of the radiator and the arms reach back to the axle in back of and under the radiator. (Is that right Jim?)

What surprises me though is that you are having a problem with body lean... Do you have a roof rack or something heavy mounted high up? Are your ties up to pressure? Are your bushings still intact?

I've never really been too worried about the body lean in series rovers but maybe thats just me. Have you ever had your truck close to tipping on a trail? If not then perhaps that would give you a new perspective about tipping on the streets. ... or maybe I just live dangerously!

Has a large and heavy rack on top. Tires are at pressure. Bushings are good.

I think I am going to try a changing to an offset rim (wolf) and see if that does it. Any idea on the offset maximum I shouls go with?
    Tim M.
    Ashburnham, MA

I'd try Discovery steel rims. I doubt you'll see a huge difference. Anything you can do to lower your center of gravity would help too. I've never had a problem with sway but then again I'm not a big fan of roof racks and rarely use them.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums