Thread: SIII Front End Alignment

Default SIII Front End Alignment

The front end of my SIII 109" is basically all new: new front horn, new shackles, new steering gear, new ball joints on all of the steering links, new steering damper, and a new bumper and brush guard (big thanks to rwollschlager for donating his old series brush guard). It's been almost a 2 year journey to complete this stage of my under-funded restoration.

Everything looks pretty good, but I drove it the other day and thought the steering felt very "floaty" and loose. I was looking at the front end, and when the front left wheel is straight, it appears that the front right wheel is cocked out a bit to the right (see below)...what is this and how do I get them into alignment?

https://flic.kr/p/nDhjqn
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

I think you want this in the Technical section, hopefully a moderator will move it.

All that is adjustable on the front end is the toe. The Green Bible will show how to check & adjust this to get a little bit of toe-in. After that, you may want to check & adjust the steering box to make sure you get rid of any excess play (don't make it too tight).

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    I think you want this in the Technical section, hopefully a moderator will move it.

All that is adjustable on the front end is the toe. The Green Bible will show how to check & adjust this to get a little bit of toe-in. After that, you may want to check & adjust the steering box to make sure you get rid of any excess play (don't make it too tight).
    Yikes—totally not the right section...will repost to technical section.
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.