Thread: Where are all the Classics? Muddy Chef Challenge @Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT

Default Where are all the Classics? Muddy Chef Challenge @Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT

July 31, Aug 1,2,3 2014

We have over 60 Land Rovers currently registered but ONLY TWO Classic Range Rovers? What up with that?

http://www.muddychef.com

I very rarely see any Classics on the roads these days. I spent 2 weeks in England & Scotland in April and drove about 1000 miles - in all that time I only saw one Classic and 2 or 3 P38's . Saw lots of new RR 's and RRS's (the latest models of each).

I owned 4 RR Classics from 1989 to 2010 and enjoyed them a lot but there was always something breaking on them. In 2010 I bought a RRS and other than an insatiable appetite for brakes it hasn't missed a beat in 4 years.

Good luck with the event - unfortunately I cannot make it.

Mike

If still lived in CT, I'd be there with my LWB. Had an Avalon Blue '95 LWB for 4 years or so. Now that I am in FL, we have another 95 LWB (white this time) and when we participated in the "Wheels Across the Pond" car show here back in April, we were the ONLY non-Series edition Land Rover there. Outnumbered 4 to 1. Sad....
    '95 RRC LWB (white)
    '95 RRC LWB (Avalon Blue) - sold
    '95 RRC LWB parts truck ready and waiting to donate to the cause...

If you told me that there would be MORE Defenders at the event than Range Rovers I would have never believed it. Crazy. When I worked as an instructor at Michelin we drove LWB Classics 5 days a week and the students beat the everloving crap out of them. If you can deal with the poor build quality, expensive parts, yada, yada, yada, they are fantastic vehicles.

There just aren't that many around anymore... I see more of them on the Gulf Coast of FL and central FL than east coast. This one is our 2nd oe, not counting parts trucks. When I was in CT, we had an Avalon Blue one for 3+ years, got it from original owner. Sold it in 2010 with 157k or so on it. Very, very little rust for a NYC/CT truck. Bought the current Alpine White one last year with 165k miles. I was able to identify two prior RRC geek owners that I know from forums like this, who collectively spent a small fortune getting everything sorted. Has 175k on it now and going strong.
    '95 RRC LWB (white)
    '95 RRC LWB (Avalon Blue) - sold
    '95 RRC LWB parts truck ready and waiting to donate to the cause...

EVENT UPDATE/NEWS:

We just updated the Schedule of Events. Added interactive directions to Orvis and Crown Maple. The FREE - Harpoon and American Harvest tents will be open Friday and Saturday night late.... whoo hoo! We are heading back this week to re-do the Overland Challenge course. I'm batting 100 for setting these up. I did one on the Equinox Land Rover course a few years ago that was so good it was impossible to find. I managed to replicate this success when I setup the Overland course a few weeks ago....

PHOTO: Building the 2 mile road of doom section of the 4x4 course in the GMF. ROCK SLIDERS recommended:

Attachment 9836

When Chris and I went back and ran the GPS and land navigation points - same thing happened.... Impossible to find. Me thinks It's installer error or all the titanium in my body is screwing with the GPS signals...... Anyway, back again this week to try and make a course that can be found.

Also, in addition to all the prizes and awards, Crown Maple Syrup (an event sponsor) will be including samples of their amazing Maple Syrup and Maple Sugar in the arrivals packages. The best food entry using CM products will be selected by Crown Maple judges.

The winner will have their team name and winning year engraved on the grand champion trophy that will be on permanent display at Madava Farms/Crown Maple. The winner will also receive a bottle of Crown Maple Syrup. Cool stuff.

Visit: www.muddychef.com for more info

Have questions about the event or ideas? email info@muddychef.com