Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil leak

Default oil leak

after a routine Friday spin found this , the hole where it seems to be coming from looks threaded but not clean like a bolt just came out any thanks gareth dallas tx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140213_142312.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	9911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140718_103341.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	9912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OIL LEAK.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	9913  

Zimbo,

Well, they all leak, but this looks a bit more than usual. Rear main seal is my best guess. Oil looks a bit black, may be time for a change. As for the threaded hole, I think it's supposed to be open unless fording rivers and such.
    Rob
    68 series 2a Bug Eye

I agree with bugeye. That is the clutch housing drain. If oil
    Leaks from there, it is usually the rear main seal. No plug should be put in there.

is this rear main a nightmare , do I have to take off driveshaft, tunnel covers etc I assume the gearbox needs to be dropped and clear of working area
    any idea why it would leak all of a sudden like that , the only thing ive changed recently is the air filter bypassed the oil bath for a while

Is the crankcase being sufficiently vented? If the vent has been eliminated or obstructed, the pressure could build up, blowing stuff past the seals.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

thank you mark , wher and what should I look for in the vented issue

I don't have a 2.25 engine, but venting usually takes the form of a vented oil fill cap or a PCV system.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I checked the venting all seems good , I did a oil change also dropped the pan cleaned out the sludge ,new gasket installed new oil and filter , drove around town and leak seems to still be there , rear main job in the pipeline . any ideas on shop rates for this I will have a shop do this too big for me

I had a shop do mine last year. Small local garage, that I went to high school with the owner. I think it set me back around $900. I did pick up the parts, including a fresh clutch, I removed the wings radiator and breakfast so I could save myself some shop labor.

Yup rear main. First job I've ever had a shop do for me. I also had a new clutch plate installed. I wish I had the trany seals or transfer case done too they're now leaking like crazy too.