Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass. State Vehicle Inspection Advice?

Default Mass. State Vehicle Inspection Advice?

I've recently relocated to Mass. and am in the process of getting all of my vehicles registered in the Comonwealth. The two daily drivers have been relatively straightforward with respect to getting them all set up but, I'm a little worried about the Mass. Vehicle Inspection process for my '66 Series IIa. It was previously registered in CT and by all accounts is in pretty nice condition but, like all Rovers of it's age, it leaks a little, the brakes aren't perfect, steering's not tight, etc.

I've followed several sagas on this forum and others concerning problems getting various Series Rovers registered so, I thought I'd seek some advice and or suggestions about the best way to go about this. I certainly can just go up to the nearest inspection station but, then I think I'm at the mercy of whoever is working there that day and his/her knowledge of vintage British automobiles.

Thoughts???

Thanks

Make sure your front wheel bearing are good. They often put a jack under the front end and check them. Horn, brake lights, directionals, e-brake, no cracks in the windshield. Where in Mass? I used an inspection station in Amherst that another series owner uses. No issues thus far.
    1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

Quote Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
    Make sure your front wheel bearing are good. They often put a jack under the front end and check them. Horn, brake lights, directionals, e-brake, no cracks in the windshield. Where in Mass? I used an inspection station in Amherst that another series owner uses. No issues thus far.

I've moved to Winchester, MA but the Rover's down in Mashpee on the Cape for the summer. Based on your list, I think everything should check out. I've never messed with the wheel bearings but, everything else has been updated and/or serviced. I guess I'll give it a go this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks.

When I had to do the CT inspection a while back, they jacked up the front and told me I needed new ball joints. What they were feeling & seeing was the correct front wheel bearing play multiplied out by the 7.50x16 tires. I made sure to bring the factory service manual with my to show them the required bearing end play.

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Seems like you are asking two questions 1) registration and 2) passing inspection?

FWIW....

1) easy. But.....if you have not had your vehicle registered in your name 6 moths prior to moving to Mass, you have to pay sales tax on it. Be sure and fill out the tax exemption form when you register. If not they will asses the NADA value and tax in on it, all Series trucks are now vintage and hi value. 6% of $10K 600 bux!

2) No emission, just safety. Seat belts and parking brake are the hardest to pass with series trucks. I strongly advise picking a local gas/service station, buying all your gas there, and build a friendship with owner, it can go a long with inspections...

Welcome to Mass! Wanna buy a house?
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Quote Originally Posted by REDrum View Post

2) No emission, just safety. Seat belts and parking brake are the hardest to pass with series trucks. I strongly advise picking a local gas/service station, buying all your gas there, and build a friendship with owner, it can go a long with inspections...

Welcome to Mass! Wanna buy a house?
    If your truck came with seatbelts . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

So I saw this thread a few weeks ago and was dreading having to deal with the same issue. I was picking up a new-to-me 68 2a 88 in Vt and driving it back to MA. I had titled the vehicle a week earlier and in Mass, you have 7 days to get the vehicle inspected after titling. So, with he clock ticking, on the 7th day I returned to MA via back roads and stopped at the first inspection station I found. They came out, said they loved the truck and told me they were just going to put a sticker on it. Two minutes later, I was on my way. Never even pulled it into their garage. Some days you get lucky...

I'll post pictures and give the back story on my 2a at some point over the next week.

Cheers,

Lumpydog
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    They came out, said they loved the truck and told me they were just going to put a sticker on it. Two minutes later, I was on my way. Never even pulled it into their garage
    Nice happy ending!

BTW....How did you fare with sales tax in Ma with NADA Classic Car value?
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    So I saw this thread a few weeks ago and was dreading having to deal with the same issue. I was picking up a new-to-me 68 2a 88 in Vt and driving it back to MA. I had titled the vehicle a week earlier and in Mass, you have 7 days to get the vehicle inspected after titling. So, with he clock ticking, on the 7th day I returned to MA via back roads and stopped at the first inspection station I found. They came out, said they loved the truck and told me they were just going to put a sticker on it. Two minutes later, I was on my way. Never even pulled it into their garage. Some days you get lucky...

I'll post pictures and give the back story on my 2a at some point over the next week.

Cheers,

Lumpydog
    While not as easy as yours, mine went okay. I took it to a local Tune and Lube in Falmouth and came out of there an hour later with my sticker. Of course, during the inspection, the mechanic said he found a "looseness" in the driver side front tire assembly and would have to reject/fail me. However, since they were slow, he could pull it into the alignment bay, put it on the lift and see what the problem was. After 30 mins, he came over and said one of the lug nuts was just loose and I was all set. So, in addition to the inspection fee, I coughed up another $50 for the lug nut tightening labor. I was more interested in getting my sticker than raising hell with them so I didn't bother, which is probably exactly what he was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by gogo34 View Post
    After 30 mins, he came over and said one of the lug nuts was just loose and I was all set. So, in addition to the inspection fee, I coughed up another $50 for the lug nut tightening labor. I was more interested in getting my sticker than raising hell with them so I didn't bother, which is probably exactly what he was hoping for.

Consider that fee to be the cost of getting a sticker on an old series rover, since ONE loose lug nut doesn't make the wheel loose. I go through the same thing when my local inspection place charges me for the safety inspection PLUS an emissions inspection (plugging in the little OBDII thing). I just smile and pay them.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).