Thread: Water Temperature gauge

Default Water Temperature gauge

I purchased a water temp gauge from napa and quick connected it. running the + to a hot wire - to ground and s to the lead on the thermostat. after running the 109 for less than 2 minutes the gauge pegs at 250 (the top temp). I cracked the radiator and it was barely warm. I haven't had an opportunity to track down the wires and connect it correctly...does anyone have any advice please? Should I check the thermostat, could it be bad?
    Thank You,

Tasi

The gauges and the senders are designed to operate together. Your Land Rover uses a 30-300 ohm sender (30 ohms=cold, 300 ohms=hot). Your aftermarket gauge apparently doesn't.

You need to install a sender with an ohm range matching the specifications of your particular sender.

Which sender did you get at NAPA? It should be easy enough to tell what the correct sender range for that gauge is.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109 temp sender.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	9941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109 temp sender spot.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	9942Thank you. It's a vdo pro-cockpit. I'm looking for the range now online... I haven't been able to find it so far.
    Also, I have the mechanical sender/gauge units, but I put a different 2.25 in, and I cannot get the sender to seat in the engine, it just floats freely. There is the doughnut nut above the sender that fits, but I cannot figure it out. Here are the pics of the mechanical sender...I would love some feedback. Nope it does not go in that hole...perhaps this one with the plug?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tasi Autele; 07-29-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added info about mechanical gauges/sender

What is the highest temperature on the VDO gauge? 120c (250F), 150c (300F) or 200c (400F)?

The VDO temp senders are matched by the maximum reading shown on the gauges. Using this data sheet from VDO, you can look up the sender characteristic curves for the different gauge/sender pairs:

Most of the 120c (250F) gauges have 356 ohms at 38c (100F) and 33 ohms at 107c (225F).

Most of the 150c (300F) gauges have 594 ohms at 38c (100F) and 54 ohms at 107c (225F).

Most of the 200c (400F) gauges have 1555 ohms at 38c (100F) and 128 ohms at 107c (225F).

You just get whatever adapters necessary to use the correct VDO sender or mechanical sender.

If you used your original Rover sender with a 250F VDO gauge, it would read almost perfectly, except backwards!
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

ahh, that would make sense...backward. Yes it is a 250. Is there a way to correct the gauge?

On the subject of engine temp and gauge accuracy.... Does one of those laser temp guns give an accurate reading of coolant temps when applied to the area of the temp sensor on the block? Or is there too much difference between the actual coolant temp and the temp the laser reads on the surface of the block? If the laser is close enough, it would be of help in determining accuracy of the gauge.

Cheers,

Rob
    Bugeye88

Quote Originally Posted by Tasi Autele View Post
    ahh, that would make sense...backward. Yes it is a 250. Is there a way to correct the gauge?
    A piece of masking tape and a Sharpie?

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    A piece of masking tape and a Sharpie?
    Or just one of those silver sharpies!
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2