Thread: Should I have Warn hubs locked at all times?

Default Should I have Warn hubs locked at all times?

Just bought a 1971 Series IIA 88. Vehicle has Warn locking hubs, should they be in LOCK or FREE? All my driving is on the road (sorry).

Thank you,
    johan

I was taught (rightly or wrongly) that if you drive predominantly in 2WD on the road... you should leave the the hubs free; locking them periodically (say 4% of the miles driven) to keep everything nice and lubricated.

Of course... you should still check the front axle and SB oil levels on a regular basis.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if this is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    I was taught (rightly or wrongly) that if you drive predominantly in 2WD on the road... you should leave the the hubs free; locking them periodically (say 4% of the miles driven) to keep everything nice and lubricated.

Of course... you should still check the front axle and SB oil levels on a regular basis.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if this is not accurate.
    An advantage to locking hubs is the ability to disconnect the front drivetrain when you don't need it - like when in 2wd on pavement, as described above. The front wheels will turn, but the diff and prop shaft won't.

I lock them up once a week when I'm running an errand - this is supposed to splash the 90wt around inside the swivel housings and keep everything nice 'n lubed.

This is one of those subjects where reasonable people can disagree, and where everyone is partly right for one reason or another.

Hubs should be locked only when you're going to use 4WD. Leave them unlocked while in 2WD, it's their purpose to allow a kind free-wheeling to the front drive on the highway. This mode it supposed to give you better mileage and less wear.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

If I am driving mostly local I keep them locked. If I am going on a longer highway trip I unlock them. This keeps me from leaving them unlocked for months at a time. That being said remember to lock them when you go off road right after a highway trip . . .

You can run them locked at all times with no harm.

As others have mentioned the front hubs rely on 'splash lubrication' from the oil inside. Only leaving them unlocked for months or years will do harm. In California I saw a number of Rovers with the top half of the swivel rusty because the hubs were constantly left unlocked.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

This is one of those topics that get beaten to a pulp ever few months and for some reason people are very passionate about one position or another. Very little middle ground. But don't over think this. If you forget to lock them it will take a LOOOONNNNGGG time for any real damage to manifest itself. Drive around with them locked once a month and don't sweat it if you go 6 weeks instead of 4 without doing so.
    I'm sure many more go without enough oil in the swivels to begin with....Which reminds me, do you have grease or 90wt in them?
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    ....Which reminds me, do you have grease or 90wt in them?
    Oooooh, this should be good!