Thread: tire size

Default tire size

i have recently started a rebuild of a 1966 series 2 88 the tires have rotted off but appear to have been 205 75 r 15 most rovers seem to have a 16 inch rim where did these 15 rims come from? did canadian rovers come with a smaller wheel size? anybody know what the correct tire size is for this rim?

Quote Originally Posted by brians View Post
    i have recently started a rebuild of a 1966 series 2 88 the tires have rotted off but appear to have been 205 75 r 15 most rovers seem to have a 16 inch rim where did these 15 rims come from? did canadian rovers come with a smaller wheel size? anybody know what the correct tire size is for this rim?
    I'll take an off the head stab at it. 109s came standard with 16 inch wheels and 32 inch dia tyres. 88s had the option of 16 or 15 inch dia wheels and 32 inch or 28 inch dia tyres. I never researched it but I think the 28 inch dia tyres came on the 15 inch rims.

The smaller dia tyres changed the gearing enough that the truck is peppier around town and on hills. The 32 inch dia tyres provide more ground clearance for off road travel. The 15 inch wheels have been NLA for a long time but there are more tyre sizes available for 5 inch rims than for 16 inch rims.

Now I'm sure that people who have researched LR rims will chime in and make corrections if I guessed wrong.

thanks, i see you have a 61 tr3, i have one as well, mint shape , and a concours 51 mgtd thanks for the info

thanks, i see you have a 61 tr3, i have one as well, mint shape , and a concours 51 mgtd thanks for the info
    Mine is more of a condition 2 driver and defiantly not concourse. I built her to be a period weekend warrior where someone might commute during week days and take it down to the runway races on Saturday. She has a seriously warm engine, race suspension & limited slip. Lots of fun to drive and I do put miles on her.

Name:  2012MyTR.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  102.9 KB

And she really was signal red from the factory.

Brian's now see you asked twice, measured...
    Good luck with the restore..

Default Tire Sizing Chart from Rovers North

Last edited by pjsank; 08-20-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: ooh boooy

...most rovers seem to have a 16 inch rim where did these 15 rims come from? did canadian rovers come with a smaller wheel size?
    If you believe your speedo to be original... you can always look there for a hint to your original tire size.

"1504" is the calibration for most 15" wheel/tire combinations
    "1408" is the calibration for most 16" wheel/tire combinations

My '66 came from the PO with a 1408 speedo and 15" wheels, so the speed displayed was never accurate (over reading by 7-10 mph. Of course they may have both been original... but I chose to have the wheels match the speedo; increasing them to 16". Now everything is in synch.
    Last edited by darbsclt; 08-20-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: To correct information per post #8

The four digit numbers on the speedo face only tell you if it is for use with the smaller overall diameter tire or the larger OD tire does not indicate the rim size. Pre 66 trucks all have 16 inch rims supplied as stock while post 66 US 88s all had 15s while the rest of the world was still using 16s. The speedos for both are the same. Looks like you transposed the numbers as well: 1408 being for the larger OD tires (normally 7.50x16) and 1504 (normally 7.10x15 or 6.50x16) for the smaller OD tires. Series ones and series twos were fitted with 1400 or 1500 versions.

-Ike

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    If you believe your speedo to be original... you can always look there for a hint to your original tire size.

"1408" is the calibration for most 15" wheel/tire combinations
    "1504" is the calibration for most 16" wheel/tire combinations

My '66 came from the PO with a 1504 speedo and 15" wheels, so the speed displayed was never accurate (over reading by 7-10 mph. Of course they may have both been original... but I chose to have the wheels match the speedo; increasing them to 16". Now everything is in synch.

That explains why my speedo is about 10mph off. Now I need a 1408 series IIa speedo. Anyone want to trade for a beautiful 1504 model?

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung View Post
    Looks like you transposed the numbers as well: 1408 being for the larger OD tires (normally 7.50x16) and 1504 (normally 7.10x15 or 6.50x16) for the smaller OD tires. -Ike
    Ughhh... Ike, you are - of course - correct.
    I must remember to have coffee before posting. I'll edit my reply above...