Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracking open and cleaning the two main gauges

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    If you haven't checked out Ian's "Mud4Fun" blog... he has several posts related to gauge refurbishment.

In THIS one - He repainted the inside housing with chrome paint - greatly adding to the light output of the gauges.

In THIS one - He puts a creative spin to painting the gauge face and retaining ring.

My only experience, thus far, has been to repaint the bezels (gloss black) and to replace the standard filament bulbs with LED bulbs; both changes I'm very happy with. Eventually, I'll go Ian's route and paint the inside housing silver.
    This was exactly what I was looking for. really appreciate all the the support here. I'll take pictures and doc what I do/find along the way. Should get to it within the next few weeks.

I'm still a bit of a purist and am not sure about going to LEDs (yet)!
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    This was exactly what I was looking for. really appreciate all the the support here. I'll take pictures and doc what I do/find along the way. Should get to it within the next few weeks.

I'm still a bit of a purist and am not sure about going to LEDs (yet)!
    If our hosts can't source the parts, Nisonger has all the parts you mentioned. Seal, glass etc. certain things are great to retain as OEM or original, but the LED's would be a great update that would be the restorers' invisible hand so to speak.