Thread: At low speed start-up a loud clunk, clunk, clunk... clutch? what gives?

Default At low speed start-up a loud clunk, clunk, clunk... clutch? what gives?

We are having a great time with the Series IIA that we rebuilt... Ebben was in the owners section of the latest RN catalogue! the kid pulling the 30 year old barn find out of the barn.

All is well - but when we take off at low speed, on a hill when trying to gain some quick speed, the clutch or that area makes a very loud clunking sound. Even when the clutch is released the sound might continue until the rover comes up to speed. Any ideas?

ps. it is a 1970 model with a stock clutch and transmission.

Were it me, I'd start by inspecting the universal joints on the rear driveshaft by chocking front and rear of the wheels, on level ground, then putting the transmission in neutral with the handbrake off and seeing if there's any lateral, vertical or rotational play between the driveshaft on one side of the U-joint and the flange on the other side of the U-joint, indicating a bad U-joint.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks. Great idea. I'll do that tonight... Ebben takes the IIA to school so no worky today.

By the way... there are many very expensive cars at his high school but few catch the attention the ole beater gets... and he got it for 10 hours of yard work and a winter in the shop!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusAndHisAssistant View Post
    Thanks. Great idea. I'll do that tonight... Ebben takes the IIA to school so no worky today.

By the way... there are many very expensive cars at his high school but few catch the attention the ole beater gets... and he got it for 10 hours of yard work and a winter in the shop!

THAT is not a beater. From what I've seen it looks like a nice original example of a IIA. I had a very similar condition series III 88, then I decided to learn how to off road in it, now it's a beater (not a straight panel on it). They're meant to be used, and I'm glad to see another younger guy getting into rovers, just try and learn from my mistakes

Also, check the motor/transmission mounts too. They can make a clunk, though it may not be as repetitive as a U-joint or the like.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

I agree.........sure not a beater and super nice front hubs.

I had a worn Brass bushing in the center of the flywheel that can wear our, when engaged with the Transmision, (and worn out like mine was) makes a loud clunking noise when driving.