Thread: 1997 XD runs rough when warm, HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ok got the coolant sensor from RN. Got it within 3-4 days with 2 of them the weekend. Way to go RN!
    Installed everything was working great, went for a drive.
    Within 2 miles Disco started acting up again. ARGH!!!!
    Took it back to the house and just parked it with the vehicle still running.
    I let it idle for about 20-30 minutes, and tried revving it up.
    Disco revved up (3,000 rpm) with no problem?
    Did this a few times over a period of 45 minutes with none of the "spit and sputter"
    Went for a drive 5 miles with no issues at all.
    So whats up with that? I like a "self healing" vehicle as much as the next guy untill the next time.
    Could it be an aging fuel pump?
    Something to do with sitting for long periods??
    Thanks for the input

dogpoor,

Sorry for the late response... I had the same issue over the summer. The following was my solution:

Crankshaft Position Sensor located on the LHS of engine was becoming overheated. I removed the housing and cleaned all of the debris/mud from both the sensor, housing and harness. Additionally, the harness wires were becoming frayed. I electrical taped the individual wires then wrapped the entire harness in tape. I decided to wire loom and reroute the harness closer to the bulkhead and away from the LHS exhaust downpipe.

Easy fix for me and only the cost of electrical tape and wire loom.

Good luck,
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)