Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend Looking to Buy a Defunct Rover - Need Title Help

Default Friend Looking to Buy a Defunct Rover - Need Title Help

Hi all,

A friend of mine is looking at an old '64 Rover that is in about the same shape as my gray Rover. It's poppy red and complete, with a perfect body. The guy doesn't want much for it. Now - friend of mine lives in TN and is trying to figure out how you get a vehicle like this back on the road with just a bill of sale. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure you guys have dealt w/ this before. Thanks in advance...

When did Massachusetts or Tennessee first start putting Titles on cars? In Maine it wasn't until the 70's and the only reason we did was because too many people were coming from just south of us to come up and steal cars that had no title. So if either Tennessee or Massachusett's wasn't titling cars in 1964 it might not be a problem.

Most of the Rovers I have put on the road in Maine have been with just a bill of sale.

Some states are sticky on this for obvious reasons - others not so much. In the not so much states, normally you need a Bill of Sale, some statement of fact regarding the situation of the vehicle, and sometimes a letter of indemnification (against other claims of ownership) - probably a few other things. If the situation warrants a title may be issued.

If ownership can be demonstrated to pre-date, maybe slam dunk. You may get somewhere with the model year date - or may not. State BMVs are capricious.

TN looks sticky - from what little I read on their DMV site. If he's a TN resident, have him call the TN DMV. Barring that find a friendly dealer who'll know the title ropes, a title service or register it as a self-built - if TN has that provision.

Has he talked to the state DMV yet? If not start there.

Luck
    Alac
    Last edited by Alacrity; 06-25-2007 at 07:39 PM.

one thought - the truck still has a plate on it from 1979. I wonder if that plus bill of sale would be enough. I could even buy it for him and transfer...

When I registered my SIII in TN, I had no title in hand, I had a bill-of-sale. The DMV required that I have a "rubbing", not a photo, of the serial number (even though I even had removed the plate from the dash and had it in hand at the time). They do a search to see if that number came up as it being stolen, and after a certain period of time (a month, if I remember it correctly), they deemed it clear and mailed me a new title for it.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

that sounds promising. how long ago was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976
    that sounds promising. how long ago was that?

Would've been in '98, in Knox Co.... they were bigger sticklers than other places I'd dealt w/ before in TN (ie, Putnam Co, Hawkins Co, Sullivan Co...)
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    Would've been in '98, in Knox Co.... they were bigger sticklers than other places I'd dealt w/ before in TN (ie, Putnam Co, Hawkins Co, Sullivan Co...)
    might have to hook you up with another Rover person who's going to rebuild this truck. It's a beauty - '64 that was taken off the road in 81 for a blown first gear....

Where in TN is he located?
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    Where in TN is he located?
    he's in Maryville, TN