Thread: Generator - New, won't charge ?

Default Generator - New, won't charge ?

I parked my Positive Earth IIA three years ago in my garage but before I did that I replaced the generator and found that this new one was not charging the battery. I though it was the patched up wiring harnes so I just finished replacing it with a new harnes and the generator is still not charging. The amp meter is also new so I'm asking for some help.
    My Dad keeps telling me that I need to "Flash the Fields". Can anyone tell me if thats the case with new generators ? It thats out, what else could it be?
    Kurt Warner
    Schenectady,NY USA
    63 Series IIA & 1995 Disco

hi, you need to excite the field coils, in the center of the regulator you will find the field wire( marked F on reg ) you unplug that wire ,take a test lead connect it to batt positive and just touch it to the wire for a second, plug wire back in to regulator, try starting bringing the idle up some and it now should be charging unless you have another problem.....

Default Thanks

I just finished up the last of the wiring this weekend and when I fired it up I found that the unit is now charging. Thanks for the info on regulator field wire trick. I'll keep that info handy if she stops working.

Thanks again

Kurt
    Kurt Warner
    Schenectady,NY USA
    63 Series IIA & 1995 Disco