Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 64 IIA hesitating, sputtering, and bucking under load

It could also be crud in the tank getting to the carb. Or a bad tank of gas. Ran good with the jets cleaned out, then bad after sitting sounds like crud in the carb.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88

Default It happens to me also

Truck would idle just fine, but head up a hill and it would lean out and die.

Is the fuel tank from '64? Mine a '65.

I drained the tank and the crud. Added a couple of magnets to the tank.

Rust scale clogging the fuel pickup.

Has not happened since but I need to replace the old tank. I think a new one from RN is about $185
    '65 Series IIA, 88'
    '00 Discovery II
    '08 Jaguar xj8
    '95 RRC LWB, deceased.....
    '75 Forward Control GS, 72 FL 64, gone to CA!

Here's a thought. Don't use the gas that's in the tank until you know it's good. Get a five gallon fuel can and use it as a temporary tank to confirm that your tank is cruddy.
    You may have to have the tank hot tanked and/or repaired

I still think vacuum leak.

replacing the cells in an old car that may be 40 years old, is a great idea, one or two new tanks can relieve headaches like you are describing, after draining fuel from my original 65 ex-mod top-fill military tanks I removed 1 and 1/2 cups of rust residue from one tank, plus the same tank leaked live a siv if I filled it with more than 6 gallons of fuel,

Thanks all. I am thinking it must be crud in the tank, as it had been running normally until it got down to 1/4 tank. Filled it up and cleaned the Solex again and it is running OK again. Maybe I will try some magnets. Tank was swapped about 15 years ago, so I didn't think it would build sludge up yet, but it did sit for about 45 days as it shipped to Hawaii, so that may be it. Or maybe it is missing winter.
    Jack