Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valve Guide and Seal O Ring replacement

Possibly I am being overlooked because my question was a bit "off topic"...or maybe no one on here has ever had the head apart on one of the engines..Hardly think so, but ????????????????????
    Perhaps I SHOULD START A NEW THREAD....................................anyone, comments??
    If you think that I should start "European 6 cyl head/ valve questions" I may get more response , let me know.........Donnie
    I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    ...maybe no one on here has ever had the head apart on one of the engines.
    Yes, very few of the rare individuals who still run NADA 6 cylinder engines and participate in on-line forums have probably had the pleasure of disassembling their engine to this level recently enough to have an accurate recollection of their own valve stem seals and the euro-spec 6 cylinder engines are even rarer, as you know. That'd be my guess as to the reason for the absence of responses to your previous query.

Of course, you are correct in that a separate thread would attract more attention to the fact that you seek data that is different than that implied by title or earlier discourse associated with this thread.

All I can offer on the subject at hand is this:

As this diagram was taken from the 1988 SIII Parts Catalogue and there are no annotations for different engine numbers or sales regions, I feel it's safe to presume that everything shown here is common to ALL 2.6 petrol engines, including NADA and euro engines.

The above diagram details the inlet valve stem seal type. Having located the exhaust valve guides following a 10 minute search, it would seem that the exhaust valves do not employ oil seals as the stems point downward into the camshaft bay in the block. I may be wrong on this though--I don't believe seals would be necessary on the exhaust valve stems in this configuration and I sure as heck can't find anything in the book that looks like a valve stem seal for the exhausts.
    Last edited by SafeAirOne; 12-16-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks Mark, you have answered my question. If there is an "O" ring captive in the spring retainer...This is the same method that General motors used forever.. They can't escape & are pretty bullet proof to the extent that they provide run off for the oel to leave the spring a safe distance from the guide......My friend added some Marvel Mystery Oel to the fuel tank a while back, but he cant recall how much......That may be what I am seeing...The clutch slave is leaking so I can't drive it enough to run it anywhere until spring...I only start it about once a week to keep it lubed up & the battery charged....Not much smoke, but more than I like....
    I will wait till spring, rebuild the slave cyl & get new fuel in it & drive it...I may be upset for naught....thanks, Donnie
    I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

I've got a similar situation except I can't drive mine at all. Got the clutch working yesterday to find the leak in the break master cylinder. Only thing is I've decided to suffer the cold as much as I can and try to get her running. At least it's only cold enough to numb the body parts and not cause frostbite.