Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to Buy a SII. Quick Questions

Your XZL's will be the perfect tire - especially since you already have the tires and will no longer have to try and sell them! Can't tell from the photos but that 88 could have 15" wheels. Still a worthwhile investment even if you have to buy 16" wheels...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

At a minimum take it for an extensive test drive, don't buy it based on an emotional response to looks alone.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

The NADA six cylinder is highly regarded as one of the worst engines ever dumped on the driving public.

Coincidentally, I just came across an interesting (but seemingly abandoned) blog at oldrover.com... towards the end of his history section, "Da" offers a brief description of his '67 109 6-cylinder.

The sentence opening the paragraph is "The new 1967 Series IIA 109 was blue and bloody awful."
    Read about it HERE...

Avoid the urge to buy someone's "love" and "emotion" as they are probably asking too much. The advice that another 1k to get it passable, and running, is accurate. Be logical when shopping for older truck, bring a compression tester, to get an Idea of where the engine is, check all the fluids, to see what the PO did or did not do, pull a tire off, and check the brakes, crawl under and twist the drive shafts to check for play, be logical, and don't pounce on something because it looks cool, they do, but you want something that has mechanical potential, just ,my 2 cents, cheers, good luck,

As I have read about locking hubs, they are supposed improve performance in 2 wheel drive. Also, you must NEVER engage 4 wheel drive unless they are locked otherwise serious damage can occur to your drive train. This of course is strictly theoretical on my part because I have only been in mine when it was moving once, and it was being towed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckstp View Post
    As I have read about locking hubs, they are supposed improve performance in 2 wheel drive.
    This is true--You go from 12.7 MPG with locked hubs to 12.692 MPG with them unlocked and your 0-to-not-quite-60 time drops from 3 minutes 20 seconds locked to 3 minutes 18 seconds unlocked.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Those are some wicked fast numbers you are posting.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckstp View Post
    As I have read about locking hubs, they are supposed improve performance in 2 wheel drive. Also, you must NEVER engage 4 wheel drive unless they are locked otherwise serious damage can occur to your drive train. This of course is strictly theoretical on my part because I have only been in mine when it was moving once, and it was being towed at the time.
    It doesn't hurt anything to drive in low with hubs unlocked.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
    — George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by darbsclt View Post
    Coincidentally, I just came across an interesting (but seemingly abandoned) blog at oldrover.com... towards the end of his history section, "Da" offers a brief description of his '67 109 6-cylinder.

The sentence opening the paragraph is "The new 1967 Series IIA 109 was blue and bloody awful."
    Read about it HERE...
    This is an amazing site. Kind of like an archeological dig. Looks like it hasn't been updated in over 10 years. The story of the "vampire" is fantastic (under "sold rovers") - if there is one of these in the states, I wonder were it is now!?

Great find Darbsclt. Thanks for sharing!
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)