Thread: Importing a Defender

Default Importing a Defender

I am in the Navy and under orders for a 4 month school in the Netherlands starting in January. I currently have a '73 Series III and have the green light from my wife to import something newer. (She can't drive the Series III she says). I am partial to a Diesel 110, but any Defender at the right price without frame or bulkhead rot won't be turned away.

I've been cruising gumtree.com, autotrader.co.uk, carandclassic.co.uk and my favorite is mod-sales.com. I know the Landy needs to be older than 25 years and original (no 200 or 300 TDis), but does anyone have additional tips, pointers, or advice? - See more at: http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...117#post102117

There should be older defenders available in the Netherlands, as they were pretty popular, and I believe the military there used them also. The paper work is the thing worth looking in to. I understand the there is a discount or tax forgiveness by customs for service members bringing in their personal vehicles. Might cost a pretty penny to ship to San Diego though. There is not only a shipping fee but also a docking fee that has to be paid before pickup. And there is also the customs inspection and paper work. And... they may charge you for an expensive wash job before it can be released. I imported my Series III about 8 years ago, and it was an all day job getting it picked up with the paper work and such. I don't know how much the paper work or costs have changed.

'95 R,R,C, Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Unless you have done at least once, (which you seem to have) Importing any vehicle to the US is serious project and prone to many hidden costs. Importing a defender these days offers even more challenges than the norm. I have been importing a series truck a year for the past few years now and will offer this:

1) In the eyes of CBP/DHS Defenders are pretty much considered contra band until proven other wise. Back dated Vins on late model Defenders has caused a tightening of the 25 year exception. Google search to find hundred of thread pages on Defender web forums about this.
    2) You need to do A LOT of due diligence on the history of the Defender you have fallen in love with in Europe. If, in the hands of CBP, it turns out it is not what you claimed it to be, you could be faced with a felony and truck seized--for good.
    3) Hire customs brokers at both ends--don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
    4) If CBP "taps" the container for intrusive inspection, expect to pay anywhere from $1 to 3K in additional costs; on top of customs fees and import tax. You pay for sequestering and transport of the container by 3rd party, visual inspection by CBP(opening of cavities), and/or possible x-ray, storage and processing fees. With no ability recoup, haggle, or not pay the incurred fees by CBP or 3rd party. This is first hand experience, not hearsay.
    5) Have all paperwork completed at at your customs broker prior to truck arriving in US. Storage fees start ticking after 3 days. If the above is invoked, CBP can take many days to sequester your container.
    6) Highly advise you receiving the truck from your customs agent, not power of a tourney given to a land based shipper. If you do not see/confirm the condition of your truck, recourse is very limited.
    7) Once you get the released CBP 7501 or 3299 form you are good to go.
    8) Every state is different but most likely you'll need all non english ownership and sales transaction documents translated in order to register.

W/o shipping be prepared to spend up to $3K to get it thru CBP. I've done it twice for <$500 but also done it for close to $3K.

Also, 200TDi are not out the question for import in a late 80s Stage I 110. 300TDI are not 25 years old but are 20, required by EPA. 5TDI and Puma are a no-go.
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

REDrum,

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on going with an customs broker that has connections on both sides of the pond. The biggest tip he had when looking was to make sure all the numbers matched and as much as I would like a galv frame, that just leads to more problems.

So I skipped the import route and bought a 110 already in the States. Took it out in the snow about 35 miles east of San Diego today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1424.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	10478
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hawaii_SIII; 01-04-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I don't know the difference between west and east

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Not a bad option. In my estimation when all the dust (costs and time) settle, it costs about $5K to go find, import, and get registered a truck here in the US. Happi trails
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii_SIII View Post
    So I skipped the import route and bought a 110 already in the States. Took it out in the snow about 35 miles west of San Diego today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1424.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	10478
    Not a bad trick to go to the snow WEST ot San Diego !
    1969 Series IIA 88
    LHD SW 2.25 petrol
    fairey overdrive

Well I did drive west after going through the snow.