Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hard to start Hot

Hi Tim,

I also had a 914. Great little car. Mine was a 1974 2.0. I never made the jump to carbs, but if I had, I would have used Weber DCOE's.
    Good your using a 34 ICH as I mentioned before. intake velocity of a smaller intake make for good lower end torque and I've found the carb works OK at the upper end also. As for jetting, altitude is a key factor. Post your elevation and ask folks here online what jetting they have on their Weber 34 ICH for that altitude. There should be several with similar set ups as the Weber is a popular Carby. Soldier on!

Cheers,

Rob
    Bugeye88

Thanks Rob. I went thru 3 914's, 2 72's and 74 in the late 70's and early 80's. I ended up leaving the FI on the 74. Then I jumped into the 911's, 2 71's, a 77 during the 80's and 90's, and finally a 930 for the last 8 years, it's a keeper. I drove it from SC up to Maine a few years ago, then over to Vermont to meet Arthur P at RN. Amazing road car! Bought it with 34K in 04, it now has just under 140K on it. Most reliable car I've ever owned. Been a Porsche freak since the late 70's!

OK, back to LR's!

So I have the stock air cleaner on the series, that has a rubber hose coming off of the air cleaner, then a metal elbow that curves around to connect to the carb via a short 2" host adapter. I and ordered this part (PLC375) thinking it would connect the "elbow" onto the carb. It fits on the carb, but does not fit on the metal elbow. What do you or others use for this connection on the Weber?

tim
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)

Tim,
    Im using a similar 2 or 3 inch tall rubber hose type fitting for the connection of the metal elbow and the carby. Requires a good hose clamp to keep it attached to the carb and the elbow. I have a K+N cone filter at the end of the metal elbow. K+N's have low restriction if maintained properly and are light. The oil bath is good for very dusty/dirty conditions, but restrictive. Let me know how the new carb works!

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88

There are two or three different sized carb "elbows ". The Weber I had used an adapter around the carb top to increase the diameter to match the hose. There are also several styles of elbows, with attached tubes for the various crancase vent system connections.

One of my trucks used a sleeve of rubber tubing inside the hose to fit onto the carb. It wasn't very secure.

Bob

Apparently my truck came with a Solex, which has the very large opening on the elbow>>>Carb....The rubber adapter I purchased from RN was for a Zenith/Weber....At least that's what the RN guy told me today. I need a hose with an ID that goes from 2.5 down to 2 1/4...

tim
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)

PM sent.

You could try the plumbing supply section of the bigger home stores, as they have sections of rubber tube used to connect drain piping. Weber did supply an adapter ring on one of my carbs, but it is long gone.

Bob