Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard to start Hot

What did the old plugs tell you about what's going on?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    What did the old plugs tell you about what's going on?
    Most were rich, one was brown. Not sure how this would cause the truck to feel like it was loosing power, then eventually shut down, unless the plugs were just fowling out. Drove it for a while tonight with the new plugs and so far it's running fine, but I am sure I still have a problem.
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)

To quote Alice "things are getting curiouser and curiouser"..... Might as well replace points and condenser while your at it. Maybe coil as well to give the whole ignition a kick in the pants. My money was on a fuel supply issue. Did you ever drain the tank to see any crud in the tank? screen on the fuel pick-up?

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye88 View Post
    To quote Alice "things are getting curiouser and curiouser"..... Might as well replace points and condenser while your at it. Maybe coil as well to give the whole ignition a kick in the pants. My money was on a fuel supply issue. Did you ever drain the tank to see any crud in the tank? screen on the fuel pick-up?

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88
    So I replaced the Cap, Rotor, Points, Condensor, Wires several months ago but did not replace the plugs until the other day. All fuel lines are clean, and tank is spotless on inside. Fuel filters are also spotless. Truck has been running fine since I replaced the plugs, well so far....

edit: Just got back from another drive to the beach with the dogs and truck ran great. When I pulled the old plugs three were black, one was almost normal. I know the truck is running rich as the mpg is lower double upper single digits, so the only thing I can think of at this point is the truck was fouling out, just not sure why it was able to start after sitting....I am reaching at this point but still working on it...

tim
    Last edited by timc930; 12-24-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    Tim
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)

Tim,

Right, so it was either a bad plug, fowled plugs in general, plus a carb that is not jetted properly or other carby problems like clogged jets. Have you gone through the carb recently? Also carb air filter, especially if its the oil bath type should be cleaned. Keep plugging you're making ground.

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye88 View Post
    Tim,

Right, so it was either a bad plug, fowled plugs in general, plus a carb that is not jetted properly or other carby problems like clogged jets. Have you gone through the carb recently? Also carb air filter, especially if its the oil bath type should be cleaned. Keep plugging you're making ground.

Cheers
    Rob
    Yeah pulled the carb apart over TG week, soaked in carb cleaner and reassembled. Checked needle and seat as well. Could be wrong jets though as it appears to run very rich, but it has the stock weber 34 on it...

have not touched the oil bath yet....

tim
    Tim
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)

One final thought---on an occasion or two, I've had the cloth on the inside of the air intake hose between the air filter and the..well, it'd be the carb in your case...de-laminate and collapse into airstream, blocking the airflow to the engine. In my case, the power loss combined with the plume of black smoke out of the tailpipe were dead giveaways as to what was going on.

Chances it, this is not your problem, but it can be intermittent, causes a rich mixture and a power loss.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Backfire usually indicates timing is off. If it were me I'd stop throwing love at that carb and order up a new one.
    So as I stated earlier, it's running 100% better, but I am still way rich. I moved the truck, then pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds off to replace bad exhaust gasket, and there was fuel pooled up in each of the intake ports on the head. Plugs are black again after driving less than 100 miles so I have ordered a new weber carb.
    Tim
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)

Tim,
    Hope the new carb does the trick. Be sure to order it with the correct jets for you altitude. Most carb sales places will do that for you, and they are usually good. Since I remember you are running a dual inlet carb, I assume it is the Weber 35 DGV. I have run one of these on a Series 111 and it was quite good. But this is a lot of carb for these 2.25 engines and can run rich easily if the jets are off even a bit. The single inlet 34 ICT Webber I feel is a better carb for our applications, and is what I am running on my 68 Bugeye. It provides better intake velocity and is easier to set up and has good linear power curve. The other carb I like and have used is the Rochester GM carb. Again, a lot of carb for our engines but they are quite reliable and have linear power curve with a bit more top end power. The 34ICT has better low end characteristics. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Rob
    Bugeye88

Hi Rob, I was running a 34ICH, and just ordered a new one from our host, should be here tomorrow. I do have a progressive 2bbl Weber and matching intake manifold that came with the truck, but I just did not want to go to all the trouble of jetting it properly to run with the little 2.25, as I have no idea where to start, or what size engine the carb was jetted to work with. Years ago I had a 1.7 litre 914 and I installed one of the Weber progressive 2bbl carb's, but it came properly jetted. I am hopping that RN knows the proper jets to work with the 2.25 and as such the carb should come properly jetted.

Right now I just want it to run right, with decent mpg!

tim
    Tim
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)