I have an 82 Series 3 RHD with a 200 Tdi and am having starting issues. The rover has always started in the past, at times it takes 2 or 3 tries with hearing the started turn but it would always start. Recently the rover will not start. I'll put the key into the ignition and turn it and I hear a thunk/click sound. Everything goes dead until I take the negative lead off the battery and then I can do the trick again. With someone else turning the key, I placed my had on hte starter and felt it make the thunk/click sound. I assumed it was frozen or damaged and pulled the starter and tested it. For better or worse it works with leads attached and a connection is made with the solenoid on the starter to positive lead with a screwdriver. The gear pops up and the motor runs.
So now I assume the wiring is in need or repair or something else (starte solenoid switch as identified as #23 on the Series 3 circuit diagram as provided by our hosts online).
I'm posting on this forum as all of the Series 3 wiring system is there and unfortunately I'm not as familiar with it as RRC.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark