Thread: Noob to Rover/Oldie to British

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Noob to Rover/Oldie to British

I just rescued a 1971 Series IIa 88 for an abusive home (no maintenance in years). I'm replacing all tires, wheel bearings, brakes, wheel cylinders, the cracked exhaust manifold, generator, water pump, all hoses, flushing the radiator and heater core, pan gasket, valve cover gasket, new points, distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and other stuff.

I'll drain all cases, fill all zerks, change oil, etc.

I'll re-torque the head bolts, adjust the valves (compression is good), start it up, time it, and adjust the carb (Weber or so it appears - must be verified). Once I get it running sufficiently I'll see what else it needs. I intend to keep it as a survivor since it has no rust. Maybe later a frame off, but right now I'll just get the kinks worked out.

Am I missing something specific to Series Rovers? I've rebuilt several British sports cars (the last one a 1959 TR3) so I do know so in's and out's of British engineering. But I don't want to miss something important!!

Thanks in advance.
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landrover1.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	10440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tr3.JPG 
Views:	788 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	10441
    Last edited by slowmo; 12-15-2014 at 05:13 PM.