Thread: Timing marks on earlier IIA

Default Timing marks on earlier IIA

I attempted to locate the timing marks on my '64 IIA. I'm not really sure how anyone can see them at all with the engine in the vehicle, but with the floorboard out to bleed the clutch line, I removed the cover and mounted a camera so I could look at the flywheel. All of the drawings in the manual show the TDC with an associated mark along with 3 and 6 degree markings. I found a marking which is presumably TDC labeled with an 'E' and a 'P' on either side of the mark and nothing else.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Should I simply count the teeth to determine the degree of offset when setting the distributor?

EP stands for exhaust peak and indicates when the #1 exhaust valve is in the fully open position, used in conjuction with setting the timing gears. The 3 is for timing with regular fuel and the 6 for premium,"is in line with the pointer on the flywheel housing and both valves of number 1 cylinder are closed." used in conjunction with setting the distributor. All this for the 2.25 petrol motor, if you have something else all bets are off.... HTH
    Last edited by ignotus; 12-26-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelin
    1960 "bitsa" 88--Ignotus
    1960 109, 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

I think you are looking on the wrong part of the engine. The timing marks are on the front of the engine on the crank case pully, not the back of the engine on the flywheel. At least that's what I am interpreting where you are looking based on your post.

According to the various workshop manuals, the earlier ones have the timing marks on the flywheel while later are on the pulley. I don't see anything on my pulley and found the pointer on the flywheel. The big problem is I was also expecting to see marks for 3 and 6 degrees, but don't see anything there.

The thing is if EP is for the exhaust peak, it sounds like I'm 180 degrees out of phase. I had thought the markers were supposed to show on the compression stroke, and I put my finger on the spark-plug hole to verify that when I was turning the engine.