Thread: Gasket for brake/clutch reservoir question

Default Gasket for brake/clutch reservoir question

I am replacing the brake master cylinder and when I removed the reservoir noticed a black gasket that had mostly disintegrated which had been between the main reservoir and the internal tube feeding the clutch system. This is for a 64' SWB with a CB type master if that makes any difference. I hadn't found any mention of a gasket and very little mention of the internal clutch cylinder.

My question is, what should I use to seal this in order to prevent leakage without compromising the break fluid in the process?

I don't know of any gasket between the 2 sections. I just want to make sure you are talking about the metal "bean can"? Has a side exit pipe and a center bottom pipe? If you found a rubber gasket on top of the fluid/tube, it is a gasket which fits in the cap.
    HTH

If you drain the brake fluid the clutch fluid should stay up, when refilled the level should be just above the center tube(clutch), both are the same fluid.
    Last edited by ignotus; 01-01-2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: more info
    1960 "bitsa" 88--Ignotus
    1960 109, 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

That is indeed the beast I am talking about. The reason I asked is that there was one when I took it out, and I was concerned about leakage through the bottom. Perhaps I should say, what was left of a gasket. It was in between the internal clutch tube and the main body of the "bean can". Clearly, whoever put the gasket in before didn't do the system any good since it disintegrated and polluted the fluid going to the clutch.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to go w/o a gasket, and do my best to clean out the old fluid before filling and bleeding.

I vaguely remember some type of seal (or seals) in there, maybe a compression gasket? Either way, something needs to seal the tube & fitting or else it will leak.