Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello form a new "old" owner

Sorry, What do you mean re the rear leaf springs being on backwards?
    All looks the same to me..

The parabolic rear leafs are not equidistant from mount to center pin. There is a "long" side and "short"side. At least when I measured the set that is on there, there is an 1 1/2" difference. Rotating them 180 will move the rear axle back about 2" and put it into better position in the wheel well.
    "Don't know where I'm going, just hoping to get there"

Mike

70' IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCT 70 View Post
    The parabolic rear leafs are not equidistant from mount to center pin. There is a "long" side and "short"side. At least when I measured the set that is on there, there is an 1 1/2" difference. Rotating them 180 will move the rear axle back about 2" and put it into better position in the wheel well.
    I would call our hosts and really double check this. The few times I have installed springs I do not recall anything about having a forward/rear aspect of a rear spring. It is possible your axle is no longer centered on the center pin, but the vehicle would noticeably lurch when braking or accelerating.

Rocky Mountain is another parabolic suspension vendor and they mention no such thing about a long/short side http://parabolicsprings.com/parabolicsprings.html
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Sound like the locating pin has sheared off and the axle is sitting askew on the spring, either way they need taking off to replace the pin with a bolt to locate them properly; you might get away with undoing the U bolts and splitting the spring and axles and get enough room to work in place (just make sure everything is well held/chocked to noting moves).
    Parksy
    Ex-80", 86", Ex-107", Ex-107", Ex-109", Ex-IIA 109 SW, IIA 109 FC, Ex-RHD 101, Ex-LHD 101
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surf-R...99332096782674

I will double check the pin and the measurements. Thanks for the information. I'll also dig through the book of receipts I got when I purchased the truck, it should tell me what brand springs where installed.
    "Don't know where I'm going, just hoping to get there"

Mike

70' IIa 88