Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 SIII upgrades?

Default 1972 SIII upgrades?

Hey folks, I have a 72 that's had tons of work done over the last couple of years, rebuilt engine, cooling system, clutch system, has good brakes etc but I rarely drive it as it's hard on me. I know, I know! But since I can't seem to let it go to a better home, what would you do to make it easier on a 47 yr old landscapers knees?? The shocks and springs seem good, no sagging, but maybe if I put a RTT I'd need to upgrade.
    - how hard is it to soundproof?
    - is there anything to do to make changing gears easier/ softer?
    - steering options?
    It seems that if i start any changes to power this and that, I might as well sell and get something new, right? But I don't want to! Well, not really despite my friends advice to get a Class B motorhome since I travel with three dogs and take long road trips (ideally).
    So I'm asking, what would you do? Throw out as many suggestions as possible with any extra consequences of such changes, what do I need to know? What kind of money are we talking here? Play nicely though, okay? Thanks!
    Name:  DSC00263.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  108.2 KB

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

If it were me, and I was faced with this situation, I would do the following:

1: Get a front rubber matting system. while expensive, this is the easiest way to sound deaden the interior.

2: Look at rhino lining the rear of the truck. With the dogs, this is extra nice as it can be hosed out and it is super durable.

3: Swap out the tires to a narrower 215 width. this will lighten the steering without major modifications.

4: Good parabolic springs, or a well oiled and sorted set of stock springs will make the ride significantly improved.

5: Defender seats, or something more comfortable than the stock set-up.

6: Leg Squats! Lots of them to get those quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteal muscles in shape. Throw in some upper body exercises as well, and the steering will get lighter, and the knees will feel better after a 4 hour drive.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Is it the clutch and brakes that are hard on the knees? Or the position of the seat and how your legs are bent?

Some folks have also been cutting a horse stall matt to size for the back of their Rovers, this helps road noise as well as maybe being a bit better for the pooches. Years ago I was introduced to using truck mudflaps as 'inner wing liners' which helps reduce road noise a bit too.

Would a receiver hitch and a load carrier that attaches to the hitch help keep loads out of the Rover also not require you to climb up to the roof rack?
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Thanks, all good ideas and I'll look into the matts and linings. It's mostly the position of the knees, too sharp a bend for long distances on the gas. On a good note, since i live in the middle of nowhere, it's long distances but little changing gears. What about overdrive would that help too?

1959 SII sold

An overdrive can help - but you still need to press the gas pedal.

Have you thought about adding a hand throttle?

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...0607683&type=0

Sorry there isn't a picture but it basically lets you set the throttle to a position and have it stay there. You do need to remember to re-set to 'zero' it if you push the clutch in. Basically it is the equivalent of putting an adjustable brick on your gas pedal.
    1969 109 P-UP

Here is an article about someone refurbishing theirs.

http://mud4fun.com/2013/07/21/hand-t...refurbishment/
    1969 109 P-UP

If you plan on any travel @ 55+MPH, defiantly get an overdrive! Check our "Rovers Down South" George will help you.

Cheers,

Rob
    Bugeye88

Quote Originally Posted by sleam View Post
    ..what would you do to make it easier on a 47 yr old landscapers knees?? ... I might as well sell and get something new, right? ... So I'm asking, what would you do? ...
    I'll preface this by saying I have really enjoyed my Series Land Rovers over the years, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss owning a Rover just a little, but...

I'm 46. I've restored 3 Series vehicles over the past 25 years . My back hurts. My knees hurt. Sometimes my neck hurts. I was ready to stop working on vehicles and actually go have some fun with them. My original plan was to buy a 97 D90 (automatic transmission). After looking for a while, I ended up ordering a new 2014 Rubicon X (now called the Hard Rock). Automatic transmission, 2-door, premium soft top, locking diffs F&R, electronic sway bar disconnect, rock sliders, steel bumpers, heated leather seats, nav & 20 gig hard drive w/ 6.5" touch screen, etc. I absolutely love it so far. It cruises nicely on the highway, and is incredible off-road. Aftermarket support is awesome, with excellent price & availability for almost anything you want.

Go check one out. Looks like a 4-door would suit you well for the long trips w/ dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I have really enjoyed my Series Land Rovers over the years, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss owning a Rover just a little, but...

I'm 46. I've restored 3 Series vehicles over the past 25 years . My back hurts. My knees hurt. Sometimes my neck hurts. I was ready to stop working on vehicles and actually go have some fun with them. My original plan was to buy a 97 D90 (automatic transmission). After looking for a while, I ended up ordering a new 2014 Rubicon X (now called the Hard Rock). Automatic transmission, 2-door, premium soft top, locking diffs F&R, electronic sway bar disconnect, rock sliders, steel bumpers, heated leather seats, nav & 20 gig hard drive w/ 6.5" touch screen, etc. I absolutely love it so far. It cruises nicely on the highway, and is incredible off-road. Aftermarket support is awesome, with excellent price & availability for almost anything you want.

Go check one out. Looks like a 4-door would suit you well for the long trips w/ dogs.

I know! I know! I have a automatic 4Runner 4x4 that i drive mostly. That's kind of what made me think I should just sell the rover but the other rover friends of mine (online though, no one near me!) all suggested to upgrade and keep it. I'm back and forth. Maybe I'll just commit for another year and then decide? Sheesh, it's hard! Thanks for the ideas though...

1959 SII sold

Quote Originally Posted by sleam View Post
    I'm back and forth. ... Sheesh, it's hard!
    That's for sure! When I sold my Lightweight, my kids were crying as it was loaded into the enclosed trailer for its trip to Minnesota. However, we get way more use out of the Rubicon and they got over it pretty quick. Seat belts for 4 people, air bags, a decent heater, air conditioning, and the kids can still climb all over it without hurting it. Heck, my wife even goes places in it!!

Don't get me wrong, a D90 would be awesome, but I just can't see me bashing through the woods with it like the Rubicon. I also can't see me NOT owning another land Rover at some point.