Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1972 SIII upgrades?

Heater would be nice! Oh, and working wipers. A hot water bottle on the lap works for a while though and it's NM - it doesnt rain!

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

If my right leg starts to cramp, which it can on a long stretch, I often switch legs and put my left foot on the gas for abit. I have only a 30" inseam but would like more legroom also. Although I have used the hand throttle on occasion.

sleam,

As far as modern Jeeps and Series Landy's....
    Two completely different vehicles and driving experiences. I would say few of us own Series Landy's because they are practicle every day vehicles or have all the modern bells and whistles. They do have a mechanical/tactile experience missing in modern trucks. It's kind of the point I think. I'm 64 and have a 2012 Rubicon, and they are indeed a marvelous machine for transportation and off road. It is not as involving and fun from many standpoints as my Series 2a Bugeye though. I can also work on it without a computer or special tools. I sold the Series 2a once and bought it back a few years later, as I just plain missed it. So sleam , it depends what you really are looking for as far as an on and off road vehicle practicality or a vintage vehicle experience. Either route, enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye88 View Post
    sleam,

As far as modern Jeeps and Series Landy's....
    Two completely different vehicles and driving experiences. I would say few of us own Series Landy's because they are practicle every day vehicles or have all the modern bells and whistles. They do have a mechanical/tactile experience missing in modern trucks. It's kind of the point I think. I'm 64 and have a 2012 Rubicon, and they are indeed a marvelous machine for transportation and off road. It is not as involving and fun from many standpoints as my Series 2a Bugeye though. I can also work on it without a computer or special tools. I sold the Series 2a once and bought it back a few years later, as I just plain missed it. So sleam , it depends what you really are looking for as far as an on and off road vehicle practicality or a vintage vehicle experience. Either route, enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88
    Thanks Rob, You're right, they are two different driving experiences. I like the variety to be honest. I mostly commute on my DR650 bike to work - but now it's too cold. The 4Runner I bought last year has become the camper, good to take dogs, tent etc out into the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. I just feel like I neglect poor Shorty, but maybe I'll just do a few things to make it slightly easier on me and use it to visit friends in town, get coffee. I think it'd help if i had a few other Series owners around, more of a community? Writing on here helps for a bigger perspective though. Thanks again, Sleam
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wild dog road.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	10503

1959 SII sold

Default Cherish the Series........

Sleam:

From the picture you posted with you and your dogs, you seem to have been born to own a Series. I suspect it suits your personality and your lifestyle. I own four Land Rovers and a Jag, but my '65 SIIA, now 50, is my favorite, however it is a difficult choice between it and my FC101. My Jag was built for speed; my SIIA was built for Saturdays.

Use it for what it is, a slow, noisy, refreshing escape from the vehicles of today. Use it to slow down on a Saturday! Enjoy the conversations with strangers who wish they owned one. My girlfriend and her border collie love it! It is their choice for a trek to the mountains.

Don't sell it, I think it suits you.........
    '65 Series IIA, 88'
    '00 Discovery II
    '08 Jaguar xj8
    '95 RRC LWB, deceased.....
    '75 Forward Control GS, 72 FL 64, gone to CA!

I have a similar problem with the leg position and clearly expect the same issue if I ever drive my IIA (which isn't running yet) any distance. One thing I expect to play with when I get that far is to get a thinner back cushion for the seat and possibly a thicker one for seat itself. I have a small boat and even though it has no foot controls, I find it much more comfortable to sit upon a life-jacket or other seat cushion when I am driving it. If I don't, my hamstrings tend to cramp up on me after any time sitting unless I am able to stretch my legs.

Anyone who has read the best book ever written - "Go, Dog, Go" will know that dogs can drive . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by johnny2rovers View Post
    Sleam:

From the picture you posted with you and your dogs, you seem to have been born to own a Series. I suspect it suits your personality and your lifestyle. I own four Land Rovers and a Jag, but my '65 SIIA, now 50, is my favorite, however it is a difficult choice between it and my FC101. My Jag was built for speed; my SIIA was built for Saturdays.

Use it for what it is, a slow, noisy, refreshing escape from the vehicles of today. Use it to slow down on a Saturday! Enjoy the conversations with strangers who wish they owned one. My girlfriend and her border collie love it! It is their choice for a trek to the mountains.

Don't sell it, I think it suits you.........
    Thanks for that!
    Solution focused that I am - here is a photo of me working with the sound insulation. A pair of construction grade earmuffs. Working with the cold, a hat, thick coat, gloves and fleece lined jeans. To work with my fear of breaking down with three dogs (Like I did on a main highway in Colorado in summer), take just one dog. The knees, roll up a sweatshirt and prop it under my thighs to hold legs in position. I'm working on it as you can tell.
    Thanks everyone for reminding me why I drive Shorty!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-12 16.33.06.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	10504

1959 SII sold

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover View Post
    Anyone who has read the best book ever written - "Go, Dog, Go" will know that dogs can drive . . .
    Never heard of it but I'll look! And for those of you who like to read, I happen to be a novelist and most of my books feature roadtrips in the Southwest! A new one just came out last week, look online on Amazon for Sarah Leamy!

ANd Chuckstp - I think I'll try a thinner back cushion tomorrow and see how that helps, great idea.

1959 SII sold

Sleam,

You've got the idea! Just keep the idea of how great and rare these vehicles are, and keep innovating. You will alway appreciate the pure experience of a Landy, and so will the Pups. I'm 6' 1" and still manage to fit OK. I also collect vintage cars and modern Porsches, so I guess I'm a bit hard to pin down on what I love the most, other than to say I just love cars and Trucks. My 68 Bugeye holds a special place in my heart for sure! The people on these pages with the same inclination will always be here to help and support... Keep the faith!

Cheers,

Rob
    Bugeye88