Thread: Taking the top off

Default Taking the top off

This will be my first spring/summer with Winston(SeriesIII) and I'm looking forward to an open air cockpit. Removal seems straight forward and my only question is what should I do about my roof rack. It is full length that clamps to the rain gutter. Should I take it off first? Thanks for any advice.

Depends on if you are lifting it with a couple of guys / gals or using a hoist system?

If you rig a system that supports the roof and does not rely on the roof rack you can leave it on. If you have strong backs and will be storing it on roof sides you can leave it on.

If you are using the rack to pull up on, I suggest removing the rack.

I made my system for the 88 from 2x4 hooks and pulleys. I put a 2x4 through the open rear windows and one up front and would take my top off by myself.

For my new 4 door jeep I use a commercial system that lifts in a very similar way.
    Sean
    1971 Series IIA Dormobile

So as long as I dont use the rack to lift the top I can leave it on and store it with the rack on the ground?

I would wager you could lift it from the rack that you had to. Considering the weight they can support downwards, the force required to lift the top upwards is small in comparison.

If you can store the top with the rack on, leave it on. Less moving pieces to keep track of come Fall.
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --