Thread: Oil in the exhaust

Default Oil in the exhaust

Fired up my Series III for the first time in a month today and noticed oil dripping from to exhaust. I know this could mean a number of things so I'm curious where I should start. Thanks for any advice.

Are you sure it's oil and not just sooty condensation (which would be normal in those circumstances)? That's an awful long way from the engine for any liquid oil to travel, in quantities sufficient to actually drip from the tailpipe.

...Or is it dripping from the front of the exhaust system, near the exhaust manifold or downpipe?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

I wouldn't say i'm 100% sure and I haven't checked any higher in the exhaust. I'll check that when I get a chance.

Probably condensation , moisture from sitting, get dirty, put some on your fingers , rub it , Feel oily? smell it . Does it smell like oil ?

Lately, after taking on new employment, a huge job I have now, My lovely rover sits all week unused, and not started.
    It is not my daily, but in summer time, is started more than once a week,
    your problem is probably black water condensation that accumulates in the muffler or pipes. The Volkswagon dealer I used to work for had terrible problems with the beetle, the exhaust and heat risers would rot from moisture build up,
    so,
    the mechanics would drill a small (very small) hole in the bottom most part of the exhaust to let water drain,
    Maybe a small hole in the lower most part of you silencer will allow some h2o to drain, but the previous advice is key, feel it is it oil or water?

Alright, I checked today and I believe it to be just dirty water. Thank you all for the advice.

I heard an earful one morning when I started the Warthog and she spit that nasty black water out of her exhaust all over the pants my wife was wearing. To this day, I am convinced that the Warthog did it on purpose. Lol!
    '73 Series III 88 2.25l Petrol, '06 LR3, '08 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Helotes, Texas