Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking fuel tank

Default Leaking fuel tank

Prior to taking over the responsibility for a 64' IIA, my dad had someone take care of rust in the fuel tank. After putting some fuel in, I discovered a leak. The plug wasn't in the whole way and someone attempted to cure the problem with silicone. I removed the plug, cleaned the threads, and put the plug back in place, this time it seated properly. After an hour with a splash of fuel, it again was leaking.

The plug is actually an insert which fits into a whole leaving a raised ring in the bottom of the tank. There appears to be a break in the seal where the insert joins with the tank. I wiped it clean with a paper towel and can see gasoline weeping into a small crack on the inside of the ringed area. I can't say for sure, but I suspect it was originally soldered in place.

Are there any alternatives for repairing the tank? There are some obvious issues with welding it, and while the risk may be lower, I suspect soldering would be fairly dangerous as well.

There is normally a copper sealing ring/gasket in addition to the plug; a throw away item that you should change if you undo the plug.
    Sounds like it is missing?

Like this:
    http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/_im...over_disco.jpg

I'm sure our host have them by the bucketload....

I have seen some tanks that need 2!
    Parksy
    Ex-80", 86", Ex-107", Ex-107", Ex-109", Ex-IIA 109 SW, IIA 109 FC, Ex-RHD 101, Ex-LHD 101
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surf-R...99332096782674

The issue is that it isn't leaking from the sealing ring around the copper gasket, but in the manufactured seam for the seating of the plug into the tank. I've attached a picture with a yellow circle which shows the area of the leak. I removed the paint from the area which had been softened by the gas.Attachment 10541

Take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and pressure tested. I would buy the missing ring and make sure it is part of the test.

If not, replace it. I would look at the cost of the boil and repair verse brand new.
    Sean
    1971 Series IIA Dormobile

If you have the time, and money, and a good shop that will do it right, then go that way,
    If not, replace with something new, not too costly, and good piece of mind

The bottom of the tank is 2 layers and most leaks will end up coming out in the area that you have circled. Unfortunately, you can't always tell where the actual hole is, especially on a civilian tank, due to the small opening. For the $199, I would just buy the new tank: http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLC362

Don't forget the gaskets and the fixing hardware.
    Remember that the tank has a rubber mount on one flange. I got my fixing kit from PA Blanchard:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-S...item20f51936b9

You realize that none of this comes across as being particularly helpful. I was hoping at minimum for a solution that involved band-aids or possibly a funnel and pump to redirect any leaking fuel back into the tank. As it stands, I have been running out of funds of which are currently unknown to certain spouse. Any other funds to be put to service for this endeavor are available only after a serious and painful ordeal.

As it stands, it appears as if I have to suffer the consequences. Thanks though, I appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckstp View Post
    Any other funds to be put to service for this endeavor are available only after a serious and painful ordeal.
    Well then, prepare yourself for an extremely serious and painful ordeal!

For about $90 you can do POR15 or for about $40 you can get a quart of Redkote. If you follow the instructions and spend the time and do it right these should seal your tank. You can pay a radiator shop to boil it out and apply the same stuff properly. Zou can buy the new tank.

How valuable is your time?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckstp View Post
    You realize that none of this comes across as being particularly helpful. I was hoping at minimum for a solution that involved band-aids or possibly a funnel and pump to redirect any leaking fuel back into the tank. As it stands, I have been running out of funds of which are currently unknown to certain spouse. Any other funds to be put to service for this endeavor are available only after a serious and painful ordeal.

As it stands, it appears as if I have to suffer the consequences. Thanks though, I appreciate the input!
    Unfortunately these vehicles are known for that. If you are asking for a backwoods fix to get you home then maybe some JB weld or other bush hack. As it is your fuel tank there is only one way to do this and that is the right way.

I boiled an 88 tank and had rad shop fix the leak. The cost was very close to buying a new one.
    Sean
    1971 Series IIA Dormobile