Thread: The imminent perils of Galvanic corrosion

Default The imminent perils of Galvanic corrosion

The perils of Galvanic corrosion. Cannot seem to stop it on a series truck. Besides the obvious plastic washers on some applications, and good paint, what other defense can a series truck owner in salt ridden, snowy New England to help stifle this trait?

They use sacrificial anodes on pipelines, etc. I think they use magnesium. Maybe attaching a few magnesium elements around the frame?

edit - Just did a search. There are conflicting guesses. The one thing I know is that it does NOT have to be immersed in water for the very small current to flow. Galvanic corrosion works quite well without being immersed.
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Sure does, my rover is used heavily in the winter, and picks up road salt as well as moisture from snow, which we have had plenty of here in Connecticut recently, not scared by it at all, but I have seen the long term results like holes in the side of AL tubs because of a different king of material on the inside like a seat belt support. My Ex-mod usually gets a new coat of hand brushed paint in the summer time so no big deal.