Thread: Water Leak from Windscreen

Default Water Leak from Windscreen

I have a leak..

I sealed the outside edge of the windscreen. I sealed the rain gutter on the roof.

From the inside, I see that windscreen is bolted to the roof line. It has about 8 bolts. It looks like a seal is behind the long piece of metal that has a lip slips onto the frame of the windscreen

Am I looking at this right, that I can take out all the bots, and pull out that metal part that run along the top of the window frame and then replace the the seal? If true, how would you pull out that metal part?

I think what I am talking about is Weather Seal between windscreen and Hardtop

josh
    1967 Land Rover 109
    1966 Land Rover 109

Joshua Tyler

I used to switch between a p-up top and a soft top on my 109 P-up. I just started using Silicone sealer. I would make a circle around each bolt and also let it 'dry a bit' before bolting everything together. Seemed to work well for me. Might have been the one part of the truck that didn't leak.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

There's a flat rubber seal that fits into a recessed area on the upper forward surface of the windscreen frame. The roof, when tightened down by the fasteners along the top of the windscreen frame, compresses this flat rubber seal, thereby stopping water ingress. These seals flatten out and loose resiliency over time.

I use the term "stopping" pretty loosely, above.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Very true... 😀

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    There's a flat rubber seal that fits into a recessed area on the upper forward surface of the windscreen frame. The roof, when tightened down by the fasteners along the top of the windscreen frame, compresses this flat rubber seal, thereby stopping water ingress. These seals flatten out and loose resiliency over time.

Hi Mark

How due you go about replacing this seal?

thanks
    1967 Land Rover 109
    1966 Land Rover 109

Joshua Tyler

You will need to remove the bolts for the entire top and lift up to replace. It can be done with the top in place for the most part, but you need to remove the rear area bolts to allow you to pull the top up. Once you are there you just scrape the old one out and place the new one in with a little adhesive.

Tighten her all back up.

I have done this one before on my 88 without help. It was not pleasant on my back, but it can be done. I used 2x4s to prop the top up enough for me to work in the gap.
    Sean
    1971 Series IIA Dormobile

Quote Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
    Hi Mark

How due you go about replacing this seal?
    What Sean says. Unless you are asking me personally, in which case I would reply: "I use the raincoat method."

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

You mean it's not supposed to rain inside my series truck?