Thread: Windshield Defroster / Heater

Default Windshield Defroster / Heater

Has anyone tried this little unit in their Series truck to defrost their windshield? It comes in at under $20, and might be worth a try.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-HEATER-W...-/161491252203

This year's winter has Upstate NY in quite a cold snap. My breath is fogging the windshield and my heater/defroster is woefully inadequate. My dashboard is so Swiss cheesy that little heat is making it to any of the vents, and I'm starting my search for alternatives to get me through til Spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have not tried that product. Anything I have tried that plugs into the cig lighter though has always been crap. To do much of any good I think you would need higher gauge wiring going to your cig lighter.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Sadly my windscreen defoggers work in a limited fashion. I have the separate scoops that sit right under each panel of glass. My best anti fogging strategy is a role of paper towels left on the front seats to wipe when necessary.

Heated glass, my friend. That and a Kodiak or (our host's) Mansfield heaters.

Default Heated Glass

I think I have the heated glass. How does one tell if it is working?

thanks
    1967 Land Rover 109
    1966 Land Rover 109

Joshua Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Heated glass, my friend. That and a Kodiak or (our host's) Mansfield heaters.
    That's what I have and they work well in combination with vehicle insulation, Defender door seals and heated seats.

Quote Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
    I think I have the heated glass. How does one tell if it is working?

thanks

When the windscreen is fogged up pull the switch and after a few minutes the windscreen will suddenly clear like magic. If there are bad wires you will see a band of still fogged up windscreen. The heat wires are not at the top or bottom so there will be a fogged band at the top & bottom.

If the fogged windscreen does not clear up it is time to get out the volt meter. Your circuit is switched 12V to switch to relay coil to ground. And switched 12V to relay switch, from relay switch through windscreen wires to ground. If any of the connections are bad the windscreen will not clear up.

A heated windscreen beats a Kodiak defrost every time.

Terry, why Defender door seals, instead of Series, ??

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Terry, why Defender door seals, instead of Series, ??
    VERY simple. They work better. back in the days of yore I purchased and installed a brand new Genuine LR Series door seals. They looked good but they still let lots of air & water through. After a few years I removed what was very good to excellent condition genuine Series door seals and replaced them with Defender door seals. I still have a small water leak at the top front of the door but the sealing is much improved. No noticeable air leaks and most of the water leaks are gone.

Land Rover has spent over 50 years refining the Series II land Rover. I see no reason not to take advantage of these refinements and consider the Defender door seals to be a good upgrade.

I'll second Teriann on using Defender door seals. They are one of the better things I've done to my rover.
    Jim