Thread: 1971 series 2A lightweight.

Default 1971 series 2A lightweight.

Meet Cromwell, A 1971 series 2A 88 lightweight EX MOD. This is my daily driver, I have owned him for just over one year and have enjoyed every good moment. He was sold to me as a 1965 but I contacted the HMC Archives and they said it was built September 8th 1971 then it was sent to the army. I bought this landy wanting to eventually do a resto but have decided to just buy another one that does not need any attention. Cromwell has things that need to be done here and there, but nothing that will stop you from enjoying it everyday. He starts, drives, stops, turns and peels out....ok just kidding on the last one. his max speed is around 60 on a good day, with the wind at your back and down a hill. other then that he will cruse a comfortable speed of 55 or so. As far as I can tell it is the original motor with 42,000 miles. It shifts like an old land rover. It is not a sports car so the best way to drive it is like an old tractor. I have perfected the double clutching in every gear. If you do not he will grind. 1 gear to 2 gear are not in sync. This is normal for older land rovers. 4 wheel drive works great! it has manual hub bearings in the front. I have gone through two carburetors and vapor lock problems but I have sense figured out the cure. Ethanol is not a friend to older motors, but marine fuel seems to be. That is what solved the vapor locking problem. I fitted two bench seats from a 109 in the back, the front seat are in very good shape. It has a newer gas tank and a new water pump. New spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap and points. I installed an inline fuel filter to help with the fuel issue that it used to have. It is do for a paint job, but I quite like the look of an old used land rover and he wears his colors proud. there is only a small rust hole in the bottom of the bulk head, it is no larger then a dime. The chassis has a patch on the back drivers side of the rear leaf springs. The frame has been waxy oiled at one point. The floors are not original, it has a heater but I have not tried to hook up the fan yet. I installed a custom roof rack with lights, brush cables and a high lift jack, I fitted an external gas tank on the back door. All lights work. He smokes a bit on start up but that is common for this older motor and carburetor mix. I am asking $8,000 for more information contact me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2177.JPG 
Views:	451 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	10669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	10668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1252.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	10667  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	10666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	10665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	10664  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2179.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	10671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	10672  
    Last edited by lancerobinson; 04-07-2015 at 07:12 AM.

Hi, I sen you a PM.