Thread: 109" side frame

Default 109" side frame

Does anybody have any good photos of the point where the sideframe rails, bulkhead, and chassis meet on a 109"? Mine were completely rotted away and when I test fit the replacements last night it seems... off. The front end of the rail extends several inches beyond the chassis outrigger, which would leave the bulkhead floating out in space somewhere. So either this is another quirk of the NADA chassis, or I'm missing something fundamental.
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

Hmm...side frame?

The entire frame is called the chassis. Using the terminology "chassis rails" for the main rails of the frame, and "outriggers" for the short parts that stick outboard of the chassis rails and "crossmembes" for the parts that span the chassis rails would help our understanding of what you need a photo of.

Here's a pic of my bulkhead outrigger just prior to replacement. I think that may be what you're looking for. Of course, the chassis alignment diagrams from the WSM may be helpful also.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

The side frame is the bit that runs from the rear tub (it's actually riveted into the tub assembly) up to the bulkhead.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it

I think I found a shot that shows what I need here: http://automotion.smugmug.com/Restor...ject/i-tNKvwxP

If you are looking for dimensions showing the location of chassis parts. This is the best I have. Sorry about the quality as the original blueprint was faded.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...awingLARGE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by superstator View Post
    The side frame is the bit that runs from the rear tub (it's actually riveted into the tub assembly) up to the bulkhead.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it

Ahh. OK.

I don't have a photo of one of those.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

That part is more commonly referred to as the "T-piece". They are often rotted away to nothing. They are not available as "genuine" any more. The ones you see for sale are aftermarket pattern parts. They are the same as Defender 110 5 door, so they are readily available from a number of sources. You can also buy individual parts for them from YRM Metal Solutions. You can get the YRM parts direct or thru Dave Dearborn at Urban Land Cruisers in Atlanta. If you have a set that is in good nick, then you are in great shape!
    It is best to work off the bulkhead outriggers as far as body parts go. Bolt up the bulkhead, then add the T pieces, then the rear tub, blah blah blah. So if the bulkhead outriggers are good, that's your starting point.

PS the pic is of a 110, not a Series. The T pieces are the same, tho, as I mentioned. Well, almost. There is a slight difference in the door sills, and the 110 ones don't have the door catch holes in the right place for Series door hardware. You'll have to drill for the door catches if you are replacing the T pieces.

Yup. I've got it pretty well worked out now - I just had a faulty mental image of how it was going to go together. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    That part is more commonly referred to as the "T-piece". They are often rotted away to nothing. They are not available as "genuine" any more. The ones you see for sale are aftermarket pattern parts. They are the same as Defender 110 5 door, so they are readily available from a number of sources. You can also buy individual parts for them from YRM Metal Solutions. You can get the YRM parts direct or thru Dave Dearborn at Urban Land Cruisers in Atlanta. If you have a set that is in good nick, then you are in great shape!
    It is best to work off the bulkhead outriggers as far as body parts go. Bolt up the bulkhead, then add the T pieces, then the rear tub, blah blah blah. So if the bulkhead outriggers are good, that's your starting point.

PS the pic is of a 110, not a Series. The T pieces are the same, tho, as I mentioned. Well, almost. There is a slight difference in the door sills, and the 110 ones don't have the door catch holes in the right place for Series door hardware. You'll have to drill for the door catches if you are replacing the T pieces.
    What are some of the sources for the T-piece? I'm looking for one. Would even buy a good used one.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

doug

I got 1 in excellent condition

send ne ph.no. and I will call you

e mail me your email and will send you pictures

1434 977 6195

[email]dgboyd1946@embarqmail.com

thanks david aka ivan
    Last edited by ivan; 03-10-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Where did you get it?
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE