Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed,Tranny/transfer swap

Faireys don't "blow" they just start screaming. It means the bearings are going. Then you have to take it apart to replace parts. While it's apart you'll want to put the end plate back on the transfer case so that you can still drive the truck. No big thing really, just that the things are fairly danty cmpared with the rest o the vehicl.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Faireys don't "blow" they just start screaming. It means the bearings are going. Then you have to take it apart to replace parts. While it's apart you'll want to put the end plate back on the transfer case so that you can still drive the truck. No big thing really, just that the things are fairly danty cmpared with the rest o the vehicl.

Would you have or know where I can get more technical data on the Fairey? I would be happy to install the bearings and check out tolerances while I have it apart. Granted some parts are more difficult to get, IF I had access to detailed info on this unit it would be very helpful.

This is my first semi-major upgrade to my Rover so I am flying blind somewhat. I would really like to do it right the first time

Presumably George RDS Parts has all the components in the Fairey OD since he is currently producing the ODs again.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Presumably George RDS Parts has all the components in the Fairey OD since he is currently producing the ODs again.

Thank you sir, that is good to know.

I would like to thank you guys for your input. It helped make this job better.

2 days later, tranny assy swap is complete. It shifts very nice now.

Installed new speedo cable........IT WORKS!!!!!

I did not install the Fairey OD on the RN rebuild. Easy to install after I get it rebuilt, so for now I can drive my girl around.

Not much help in rebuilding, but the parts manual is here:
    http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file..._Overdrive.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Not much help in rebuilding, but the parts manual is here:
    http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file..._Overdrive.pdf

Thanks for the file. I called George about a rebuild......Probably do other things to the old girl before I worry about the OD.

Not the highest on my priority list. No matter how I decide to get it rebuilt it will be expensive for what I will gain from having it in my truck.

BTW, I have a few tidbits to add before I leave for awhile.

I have put 100 miles on this thing, in 4th gear............ she is slow now, since the RN tranny assy swap and thought I would post some observations.

1. All linkage was perfectly adjusted and it works like a new one.

2. No oil leaks anywhere. Only 2 slight seeps but not enough to drip.

3. Other than the price and how little the core is worth, considering return shipping, I am more than pleased with the quality of this unit.

Now I have my old tranny assy that needs a 1-2 synchro but works fine otherwise. I'm thinking take it apart later and fix what I know needs replaced and sit in on the floor to age like a fine wine.

Or is it even worth it? I will never wear the new one out in my life time so is it even worth the time and effort to mess with?

Or is it even worth it? I will never wear the new one out in my life time so is it even worth the time and effort to mess with?
    Spend whatever time and money you would on that in pursuit of a clean 1990s vintage Range Rover Classic.

I am about ready to send my Fairey OD to George for a rebuild. But It appears he is closed. That is all his website says anyways.

I have 2 questions for you guys.

I bought the currently installed tranny assy from RN and it obviously did not have a Fairey installed. My removed tranny assy still has that Fairey OD unit hanging on it at this time.

Here is my first question, IF manage to get this OD rebuilt, what is required to install it on the RN rebuild in my Rover now? Isn't the drive gear in the way now? Would I have to remove anything internally from the RN tranny to be able to install a rebuilt OD?

Hopefully I explained that good enough.

And what is the deal with rovers down south? Are they out of business or just shut down temporarily?